PDA

View Full Version : Help! Double whammy!

seabell
03-13-2011, 03:27 PM
I suffer with IBS-D...have had it for over 15 years. I know my routine by now, what works for me, what makes it worse. If I'm having a good day, I can usually get out of my house by noon (and go to where I know where the bathrooms are). If its a bad day, I know I'm stuck in the house, near the toilet for the long haul. If I'm able to go out, I don't eat until I'm home (the majority of the time as soon as I put something in my mouth, it races to the other end). I often do not eat until dinner.

So...I just got a jury duty questionnaire which means soon I'll be called for jury duty. It's an hour ride from my house and I think you have to report by 8:30. There is no possible way I can do this...no way. But is IBS a medical excuse?? Has anyone been excused because of their IBS?

And...I had a physical last week and my blood sugar levels were elevated. In speaking with my doctor everything I can eat for my IBS is wrong for diabetes (I survive on carbs) and everything that irritates my stomach (veggies, fruits, proteins) I should be eating. :dizzy:

Plus, with diabetes you should be eating small meals all day... not one big meal at the end of the day....

I really do not want to spend the rest of my life inside my house staring at my bathroom walls....

Does anyone here on the board have IBS-D and diabetes? How do you manage?

JJ
03-14-2011, 07:44 PM
I don't have IBS/D but was tested for it plus any other test you can think of as I went through this for almost 2 years..YUP..2 years. Like you I had to schedule everything around how long will it be before I need to go again and is there a bathroom near by...pretty much sucked!

After numerous tests that all proved negative for IBS...Colitis..Etc. Etc. my GI and PCP Drs. suggested I try a Probiotic Acidophilus, told me to make sure it said Acidophilus on it. Hubby went and picked up a bottle of Schiff brand and within a couple of weeks I actually had my life back. I like the Schiff as it is a small pill and doesn't need to be put in the fridge. Been taking them now for over a year and doing ok. Yes I have a few flare ups but it only lasts a day and is nothing like I had before. Even if hubby gets constipated, he will take one for a few days and then his system is back to normal. Some days I don't take any as too much can cause the Diarrhea, so I do every other day.

I'm also borderline Diabetic and take 500 mgs. of Metformin and don't seem to have any problems taking either pill in the same day or eating a Diabetic diet most of the time..yeah I cheat at times....:D

Give it a shot and see how you make out, it's pretty inexpensive and as I said, I now go where I please, when I please.

Hope it works...JJ...:wave:

suzyshop1
04-06-2011, 11:37 PM
In answer to your question about ibs and jury duty,i have been excused from jury duty 3 times so far.All i had to do was get a doctors written excuse,and send it back with the questionnaire.