PDA

View Full Version : Microcephaly?????

justmel30
03-14-2011, 07:56 PM
My son will be 5 months old next week and has been diagnosed with microcephaly. He was fine at birth, but he isnt grown very much since. He is still under 12 pounds and just recently grew out of his newborn clothing. He is delayed developmentaly too. We have don MANY tests in the past month and so far have come up with no answers. His chromosomes are normal, no sign of problems with the brain, other then it isnt the size it should be by now. Small heads DO run in his father's side of the family and his father has a harder time learning new things. He is not mentally handicapped by any standards and lives a very normal life, he just takes a little more work then others. I absolutely believe that we will find out this is genetic. However, his father didnt want this baby and left when I found out I was having him. We havent spoke since and I'm not about to to reach out to him now. ESPECIALLY NOW! So I dont have any way of finding out if he also was developmentaly delayed as a baby. What I'm wondering is if there is a chance my son will catch up? Or if they start out delayed, is that what I can expect for his life? We go to see a neurologist in a month and I'm on pins and needles. We have so far started physical therapy but he has only gone twice....so it's too soon to see results. Any information anyone could give me would be great. Thankyou
Mel

4mykid
04-04-2011, 11:52 PM
my daughter was also born with microcephaly, now at age 2, she still has it as well as developmental and physical delays. she has yet to say her first word and is very small in build. we give her extra calories daily but is still reluctant to gain weight...first diagnosed with "failure to thrive" and has seen nuerologists and geneticists and is currently undiagnosed.../has had many tests run, doctor thinks its genetic in nature but if it's undiscovered, they don't know what to look for.....still waiting for answers, and wondering how she'll do as time goes by