PDA

View Full Version : Not Quite Vegetarian

MariaBB
06-10-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm not vegetarian or vegan, by my diet mainly contains fruit and vegetables. I was recently diagnosed with hyperkalemia, which can result from eating too many of these foods, as they are high in potassium. Is this a common side effect of a vegetarian lifestyle, and is there way to treat it (with supplements, etc.)? I'd rather not change my eating lifestyle. Afterall, I thought fruit and vegetables were supposed to be good for you!

cobwebb
06-16-2011, 04:26 PM
I'm with you on this. I'd like to know the same thing. I'm not necessarily a vegetarian but I rarely eat meats.

Machaon
06-16-2011, 05:42 PM
... I was recently diagnosed with hyperkalemia, which can result from eating too many of these foods, as they are high in potassium.

I've been on a diet heavy in veggies, and have often had the same problem with too much potassium in my diet, especially since I am also on medications that cause my body to retain potassium.

I know when I've had too much potassium because I will get weak, my pulse will get erratic and I will have breathing problems, especially during the night.

I eat 6-7 small meals per day, and what I've done to coexist with my high-veggie/high potassium diet is to limit the size of my veggie plates and salads. I LOVE veggies and salads, so it grieves me that I cannot eat larger salads and veggie plates, but for me, there is no other choice.

cobwebb
06-16-2011, 07:45 PM
So, are you saying that vegetarianism is a problem that leads to this, or is this potassium only an issue with certain people?

MariaBB
06-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Good question, I wonder too because I never had trouble with my potassium and sodium levels until after I became a heavy veggie and fruit eater. I'm hoping they're not related, but I suspect they are.

cobwebb
06-21-2011, 12:17 AM
This is kind of random, I guess, but an example of one negative side effect of too many fruits is that eating too many bananas will attract mosquitoes.

JohnR41
06-23-2011, 01:08 PM
For the average healthy person, geting too much potassium from food is unlikely. But you can get too much by taking supplements. Also, if a person has a problem with kidney function, they could have a problem even with low levels of potassium consumption. And potassium can interact with medication; check with your doctor.

The adult daily requirement (from your diet) is 4,800 mg.

I've been eating a mostly vegan diet since 2006 and my yearly blood-work has never indicated that I have too much potassium.

cobwebb
06-23-2011, 10:18 PM
That's good to know. It seems like it mostly depends on the individual. I have really been trying to go more vegetarian and tonight I had a wonderful meal. So I am really looking forward to better health and better tasting meals!