PDA

View Full Version : post nissen fundo - stomach is swollen . Help?

Cards
08-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Hey everyone! I finally had my nissen fundo yesterday morning. The doctor said I did very well. I was released from the hospital a few hours ago. As soon as I woke up from surgery, I felt no heartburn at all! And I could breathr normally! For the fiest time in 10 years! What a miracle! I have a question though - my stomach is VERY bloated (from the air that they pumped into it during surgery). Can anyone tell me how long this will go on? Its very uncomfortable. Thanks!! :-)

MountainReader
08-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Glad to hear your surgery went well.

I can't remember exactly, but I believe my swelling went down after a couple days. One of the things that helped me feel a bit better was having a soft, squishy pillow that I held to my stomach. Those ones with the little beads inside were my favorite.

Are you having any trouble getting up and down? My core muscles killed me and I couldn't get up from a prone position by myself. Having help really saved me.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'd love to share from my own experiences.

Cards
08-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Glad to hear your surgery went well.

I can't remember exactly, but I believe my swelling went down after a couple days. One of the things that helped me feel a bit better was having a soft, squishy pillow that I held to my stomach. Those ones with the little beads inside were my favorite.

Are you having any trouble getting up and down? My core muscles killed me and I couldn't get up from a prone position by myself. Having help really saved me.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'd love to share from my own experiences.

Thanks so much mountainreader :-) I'm still very sore but the pain pills help! And I can breathe normally & haven't had any reflux for the first time in 10 years! Its amazing! My swelling has gone down a bit more today, but I still look like I'm 3 mons pregnant :-( I'm hoping it goes down more by tommorrow. And I got to take a shower today which was amazing! I will definitely try the pillow, that seems like it would help a lot. I've only been sleeping on my back, I would really like to sleep on my side though, I'm just worried about ripping a stitch. Did you sleep on your side?

Yes I'm definitely having trouble getting up/down, in/out of bed. But thankfully my fiancÚ is off work until Tuesday. He has been a great help!

MountainReader
08-13-2011, 02:32 PM
I totally understand the shower thing. I did one of those 23 hr. "outpatient" things when I had surgery and the nurse had me shower before I left. They put a glove on over the IV port so it wouldn't get wet.

I eventually slept on my side. That is my normal typically. I couldn't for a while though because I couldn't turn by myself very well. I didn't expect the impact on my core muscles with regards to that. I did have a large wedge that I put under my knees when I slept that helped me feel more comfortable.

I worried about ripping my stitches for the longest time. I still do to an extent. So far nothing has happened to them though. I even had a Barium Swallow done last fall that showed my Nissen was still intact even after 2 years.

The surgery was wonderful for me too. For me, the acid was irritating my lungs and throat and flaring my asthma. Prior to surgery, I couldn't stop coughing and I couldn't get a good breath. From the moment I woke up post surgery, the cough was gone. I couldn't believe it!

Take care,
MountainReader

Cards
08-13-2011, 02:59 PM
I totally understand the shower thing. I did one of those 23 hr. "outpatient" things when I had surgery and the nurse had me shower before I left. They put a glove on over the IV port so it wouldn't get wet.

I eventually slept on my side. That is my normal typically. I couldn't for a while though because I couldn't turn by myself very well. I didn't expect the impact on my core muscles with regards to that. I did have a large wedge that I put under my knees when I slept that helped me feel more comfortable.

I worried about ripping my stitches for the longest time. I still do to an extent. So far nothing has happened to them though. I even had a Barium Swallow done last fall that showed my Nissen was still intact even after 2 years.

The surgery was wonderful for me too. For me, the acid was irritating my lungs and throat and flaring my asthma. Prior to surgery, I couldn't stop coughing and I couldn't get a good breath. From the moment I woke up post surgery, the cough was gone. I couldn't believe it!

Take care,
MountainReader

My stomach muscles are SO sore too! I wasn't prepared for that at all. I think I'm going to try sleeping on my side tonight with a pillow on front of my stomach. That's so funny about the wedge - I took a pillow, folded it in half and put it under my knees. That helps A LOT to take the pressure off of my stomach.

I had breathing problems too. But mine was from the actual hernia. It was so big that it was pushing on my diaphragm. My doc said that I was only using 50 % of my diaphragm, and the average person uses 100%. I took a deep breath for the first time in literally 10 years. I constantly felt like someone was sitting on my chest. So glad both of our surgeries worked so well for us! And thank you SO much for your advice!

Believe33
08-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Congrats Cards! I pray that your healing goes well! Please keep us posted because I will be having one before long, and I am scared/worried!

Cards
08-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Congrats Cards! I pray that your healing goes well! Please keep us posted because I will be having one before long, and I am scared/worried!

Awww thank you :-) I'm not going to lie, the recovery is painful. But it is SO worth it! I had immediate relief when I woke up from the surgery. So, good luck to you! It was the best decision I ever made!