PDA

View Full Version : Is my ENT useless?

ferrethouse
08-17-2011, 11:29 AM
I went to this ENT because his waiting list is short (because he has a bad reputation). Getting a second opinion from a reputable ENT will take 9 months (wait lists are long in Canada). Here is my history...

Seven months ago I began having various symptoms including...

1. Constant throat clearing / phlegm
2. Extremely dry throat and mouth
3. Difficulty swallowing (likely because of 1 and 2)
4. Very sore and tight neck muscles
5. Ear pain / infections

I went to several GPs and they constantly said to just wait a couple weeks and it will get better. I'm a 36 year old non-smoker so I guess they just assumed it was an infection. Finally I went to see an ENT and he said it sounded like LPR so he prescribed Prevacid and referred me for a barium swallow. The barium swallow showed a small hiatal hernia but no damage or lesions so the ENT was confident about his diagnosis. I've been taking the medication for 4 months now and there is no improvement. Yesterday he did an indirect scope (light and mirror) and said there were no signs of cancer and, in fact, there was no inflammation or anything abnormal at all. IMHO that means it isn't LPR. He prescribed me Nexium.

He seems stuck on the LPR diagnosis even though there are no visible signs of the damage that is typically characteristic of it and the Previcid had no effect. These symptoms are driving me crazy. I asked him if allergies could be causing it so he had me tested and I do have lots of allergies.

I feel like I am in limbo right now. I don't have a definitive diagnosis. My ENT just doesn't seem interested in finding the answer. It seems his answer to everything is LPR or allergies and doesn't really care to dig deep. Are all ENTs like this. Am I not being patient enough?

janewhite1
08-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Well, LPR is one of the most common causes of chronic sore throat, so it makes sense for the doctor to look into that first.

Allergies are probably also playing into it to some extent, so you may want to try allergy treatments such as antihistamines, sinus rinses, avoiding your allergies and maybe immunotherapy (allergy shots.)

You may also want to look into the possibility of nerve injury. We've had a few threads about "LPR" that's really neuropathy.

ferrethouse
08-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Well, LPR is one of the most common causes of chronic sore throat, so it makes sense for the doctor to look into that first.

Allergies are probably also playing into it to some extent, so you may want to try allergy treatments such as antihistamines, sinus rinses, avoiding your allergies and maybe immunotherapy (allergy shots.)

You may also want to look into the possibility of nerve injury. We've had a few threads about "LPR" that's really neuropathy.

I did get tested for allergies two days ago and I am allergic to lots of things. Our basement flooded last year so I'm sure we have mold. I have started immunotherapy. I've wondered about the neuropathy. I don't know much about it but I have had lots of neck issues due to years of high level sports. I actually think I have some arthritis in my neck even though I'm only 36.

Thanks for the response.