PDA

View Full Version : Extremely Worried about B 12 Deficiency with acid blockers

kevin3210
08-23-2011, 07:33 AM
I have acid reflux due to weak LES. The problem is not excess acid as my diet is clean but the problem is acid is touching food pipe due to weak LES and causing pain.

The problem started last year in sept 2010 when i was diagnosed with H Pylori. H Pylori got killed with triple therapy but this acid reflux came back few months ago.

Research clearly says acid blockers will cause B 12 deficiency. I am extremely worried. Even RDA approved B 12 supplement will not prevent B 12 deficiency. I am a strict veg and most of the quality B 12 comes from animal sources.
I am getting lot of relief with 40 mg once a day PPI but if i get B 12 deficiency which has scary symptoms, then it is like treating one problem and facing another problem.

How you guys are handling this B 12 issue?

janewhite1
08-23-2011, 05:09 PM
It CAN cause b12 deficiency. The deficiency does not happen to everyone who takes it.

And the supplements will help. Try taking the supplement shortly before you take your PPI, that should be the time of day when your stomach is most acidic, so you can best absorb it then.

felicks
08-24-2011, 07:52 AM
I was on ppis for 11 years 60-80 mg a day! I'm not only worried about B 12 deficiency, but also about cancers down the road. Can you believe I am now off them completely? All because of water with limes squeezed into it. Please try it on an empty stomach before eating. It may reverse your symptoms. It did for me.

janewhite1
08-24-2011, 11:20 AM
PPIs do not cause cancer. The reflux or inflammation that leads people to TAKE the drugs is what can cause cancer, and it generally takes decades to develop and appears first as Barrett's esophagus or stomach polyps. About 1% of people with Barrett's will eventually get esophageal cancer, and one type of stomach polyp could eventually turn to cancer. If you've had a normal endoscopy anytime recently, then it is unlikely you are at risk for cancer anytime soon.

felicks
08-24-2011, 07:58 PM
I wouldn't trust ppis not causing cancer in many individuals. PPI's can lead to hypochlorhydria. Hypochlorhydria can definitely elevate the risks of gastric/colon cancers. I've read quite a few studies. I know for absolute certain that the ppis caused severe hypochlorhydria for me. The thing that disgusts me is that the doctors handed my prescriptions to me as if I were a kid in a candy store. Surely, I know I am to blame for eating the stuff like candy. A new gastro I have told me how important stomach acid is for us. He put it this way. If a person goes and pigs out at an all you can eat buffet, chances are (s)he will get heartburn. Why? Chances are (s)he doesn't make sufficient acid to digest such an enormous meal. That is precisely WHY (s)he will suffer from an episode of heartburn. More acid would be needed to digest that huge meal. That is how hypochlorhydria works. Now I never eat huge meals, I am extremely fit, and I had terrible gerd for 11 YEARS until I ADDED acid to my diet. Go figure. I understand this may not work for many people. However, I pray that it does.