PDA

View Full Version : Just a warning: My story with heartburn

Dianeintex
08-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Just a warning to those of you who have heartburn, acid reflux, GERD issues, trouble swallowing food, food stuck in throat, etc. PLEASE make an appointment to have an Endoscopy done, it saved my life.

I am a young female. I had been having heartburn, bowel problems, chest pain, tiredness, just not feeling well. My doctor was sending me in for many different tests. Ultrasounds of my pancreas, my gallbladder, liver, stomach, heart, etc. Everything came back negative. In October 2010 she sent me in for an Endoscopy. At that time I was diagnosed with stage III Esophogeal Cancer.

I did not fit into normal "risk factors" so my doctor did not send me straight away for the Endoscopy. Usually by the time it is diagnosed it is too late. Even if your health care provider does not think you are at risk, INSIST on having the test done. Heartburn does cause cancer.

Today I am 100% cancer free after chemo/radiation and surgery but I am one of the lucky ones. I am not telling you this to scare you - I am telling you this to perhaps save a life. It has been a hard year and I wish someone had warned me a lot earlier.

Do not ever think, "It wont happen to me", It is better to be safe than sorry.

-Best regards,

-Diane.