PDA

View Full Version : TTP and Seizures

twinmomma
04-05-2001, 12:23 PM
I am a 35 year old mother of 3 year old twin boys. I was diagnosed with TTP after the birth of my twins and came very close to death. Thank goodness for ALBUMIN as I had an allergic reaction to the plasma treatments. Anyway, I am in complete remission for 3 years but have now been diagnosed with a seizure disorder. I had an MRI that showed an old hemmorage(which was not on my MRI during my TTP episode) and a sleep deprived EEG that showed elepticform waves. I was just wondering if anyone has heard if these new symptoms can be linked to my TTP. Thanks in advance for any info you might have!

Chris777
04-09-2001, 11:06 AM
twinmomma -

Can't say I've ever heard of these seizures being associated w/TTP (I've been in remission for almost a year & half). I hope they are able to control these siezures and that you are well again soon!

You mentioned Albumin, due to an allergic reaction to the plasmapheresis (I had 54 of them -ahhh), what did hte Albumin do?

Take Care-
Chris

phylly
05-11-2001, 08:40 PM
Hi twinmomma

Can't say I've heard of it either. Although, if it's known to attack the nervous system (as I was told) then I guess it's likely.

I had severe reactions to the treatments (the first was analphylactic) but I was told I needed the plasma instead of the albumin. They'd have to pump me up with benedryl beforehand (did that ever feel funky!)and during treatment(I'd still get hives all over, numbness and uncontrollable body shakes).

I'm so glad to hear you've TTP free for three years.

Take it easy

Phylly

Siv
12-14-2003, 10:16 PM
twinmomma,

I can't say I've heard of that either. I know that I had developed seizures
due to the breakdown of my blood in my lastest onslaught of TTP, but they
go away when my blood is under control. It does sort of make sense, however
considering TTP affects nearly every part of your body. Perhaps some prolonged effect?

I've only been in remission for 3 months, but I'm very happy for those 3 months.

Good luck!

- Siv.

butterflytrans
12-14-2003, 11:17 PM
I am a 35 year old mother of 3 year old twin boys. I was diagnosed with TTP after the birth of my twins and came very close to death. Thank goodness for ALBUMIN as I had an allergic reaction to the plasma treatments. Anyway, I am in complete remission for 3 years but have now been diagnosed with a seizure disorder. I had an MRI that showed an old hemmorage(which was not on my MRI during my TTP episode) and a sleep deprived EEG that showed elepticform waves. I was just wondering if anyone has heard if these new symptoms can be linked to my TTP. Thanks in advance for any info you might have!
With HUS/TTP, there is a pentad of symptoms that you can get.Hemolytic anemia, Kidney Dysfunction (i.e. uremia), Low Platelets, Fever and Neurological symptoms. By neurological symptoms, I mean things like a change in the level of consciousness, seizures, strokes etc. So the symptoms that you are experiencing are part of the "classic definition".

It sounds like you might have had a HELLP syndrome when you were pregnant...did you have any trouble with preeclampsia when you were pregnant? HELLP syndrome is Hemolysis, Elevated Liver enzymes, Low platelets...this can go along with TTP.