View Full Version : Potential Reflux Remedy

09-07-2011, 08:56 PM
I've found a way to get rid of my LPR. Basically, I did two things:

1. Elimination diet to find food sensitivities. I no longer eat wheat. Different people are sensitive to different foods; you have to experiment.

2. Perhaps even more importantly, I made a very drastic change to my sodium/potassium intake. To do this, you have to read labels carefully, cut WAY down on salt, and learn which foods contain lots of potassium. Great sources include leafy greens (but if you boil them, you have to drink the water or else use it in a soup as boiling leaches out potassium), potatoes (ditto on the boiling), bananas, cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon, papaya, and coconut water. There are lots of other sources, obviously; do a little research to find out which ones appeal to you. The idea is to take in no more than maybe 1000mg. sodium per day, and up your potassium to 5,000mg. or so. Pasta is a big no-no, incidentally, because it's low in potassium to begin with, because it's boiled, which leaches any remaining potassium out of it, and because pasta sauces are loaded with sodium. Also beware of foods that contain baking soda -- that's sodium bicarbonate. Read labels.

I've read lots of fairly desperate-sounding posts over the past couple of years while searching for a remedy for reflux, so I thought I'd put this out there and hope it helps someone.