PDA

View Full Version : Transoral Incisionless Fundo (TIF)

Believe33
09-10-2011, 06:49 AM
Has anyone here had this procedure? I am working with a well-known General/Reflux Surgeon, and he is offering either a Nissen OR a TIF. I am being told if the TIF does not work, they can always go back and follow-up with a Nissen. His approach seems to be more conservative so that is why he is offering the TIF as well. I still have to do another 24 hr probe and manometry, so maybe that will shed more light as to which procedure I need?

Tandem Rider
09-10-2011, 04:38 PM
I had a TIF on April 14, 2011. My reflux was reduced but I thought that I was still having reflux and had a second ambulatory pH test in early August. The pH test showed some reflux, about what a normal person would have. I stopped taking Nexium before the pH test and I have not taken anything since. I have some chest/stomcah pain but it is probably gastritis. I am taking carafate, not drinking coffee, wine, dark beer or eating chocolate and I am improving. My surgeon said that with the NF the reflux would stop entirely but the TIF reduces it to a normal level and it is easier to belch and vomit. If you have the TIF, following the diet is very important. I now realize that the trauma to the stomach, the recovery time, and stopping a PPI takes longer to recover than I realized.

Believe33
09-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Awesome, thank you Tandem Rider. Did you surgeon say they could do a NF if the TIF wasn't successful? I have reflux every day, even with Aciphex, Zantac 300 and TUMS. Started full-steam about a year ago and has not let up. This is an awful way to go through life, so even if they got me back to normal reflux ranges, I would think that would be a big improvement!

Thanks again,

Tandem Rider
09-10-2011, 09:45 PM
I did not ask my surgeon about doing NF if the TIF did not work. Having both surgeries would be expensive and it would mean being on the restricted diet for two periods of time. As I said in my first post, the surgery is traumatic to the stomach and takes several months to heal.
Before my second pH test, my surgeon did say that the TIF could be repaired. He has done about 60 TIFs and after my second pH test he commented that it was interesting as I was the only one to have a second pH test. From that comment I think that he is having success with the TIF.
I agree with you that having reflux is an awful way to go through life. More than most doctors understand. Good luck with your decision and let us know which surgery you have and how your recovery goes.

Believe33
09-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Thanks man, I really appreciate your insight to all of this. How long were you on PPi's prior to the surgery, if you do not mind me asking? Depening on length of time you probably are still going through somewhat of an adjustment (over-acidity) until the pumps "get back to normal". Another thing that would bug me is the limitations on weight-lifting after surgery. But hey, if I reduce the reflux I really shouldn't complain!

Tandem Rider
09-11-2011, 06:13 PM
I was on PPIs for 10 years before surgery. I watched my diet but still would have pain and be uncomfortable from the reflux during the day. I drank water constantly and brushed my teeth several times a day trying to get the taste out of my mouth. At night I would wake up and be awake for hours and sometimes never went back to sleep.

My gastritis cleared up after I retired but has returned from the TIF surgery. The lifting restriction was limiting and the diet is not fun. I did not do much for two weeks after surgery and only walked for exercise. I was told not to lift for four weeks but I waited five weeks before I did much physical. Now that it three months behind me it does not seem like that big of a deal. I looked at the TIF surgery as a good opportunity to improve my quality of life. Good luck and let us know how it goes for you.