View Full Version : Tongue problems and acid reflux

09-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Hey everyone in GERD land! This is a miserable place to be. Just curious if anyone else with GERD has tongue feeling numb and some swallowing problems. Mine feels funney and then I feel like I have to swallow hard on bread! Weird. Docs say reflux and I had manometry and pH meter showing abnormal amount of mildy acidic and acid reflux. At anyrate, this is miserable and I am on dexilant! Time for a scope and some labs for sure but just curious if you guys had tongue symptoms and dysphagia with solids (steaks and breads. DO ok with chicken). Oh yeah, I could dry swallow a pill where as now I am afraid to even take a pill with water! ARHG!!!!! God Bless y'all who suffer!

09-12-2011, 04:23 PM
I've never had numb tongue, but when my reflux was severe, yes, I've had trouble swallowing certain foods. Moist and soft is best, and pills I crushed if possible.

09-13-2011, 05:57 AM
I have not had the numbness issue but I do have strange "sensations" at times with my tongue. For example, if the back of my tongue touches the back part of the roof of my mouth, it seems to trigger something in my throat. I am rarely able to eat steak, pork or anything like that. If I do venture away from the mashed potatoes/ice cream/yogurt, it's usually for something safe like pasta. I was just recently switched back to Dexilant from Nexium because I was experiencing terrible side effects with the Nexium. I do take multi-vitamins, B-12, magnesium/calcium supplements and probiotics. I never have heartburn (and never did). My main problem is the swallowing difficulty and almost constant chest pain. Swallowing a pill is not an option for me so anything that I take has to be either crushed or disolved in liquid. It's a pain, I know, but you're not alone. There are a lot of us out here suffering with this strange malady.

09-15-2011, 03:34 PM
yes i have severe gerd to where its affecting my esphagus muscles making it hard to swallow and my tongue and mouth sometimes burn...trust me your not alone and its miserable...i take prilosec and zantac and it dont help :( oh yea i have a hernia to:(