PDA

View Full Version : Why is LPR more of an indicator for cancer than GERD

cuul44
09-13-2011, 10:53 PM
I started having to clear my throat more than usual about 6 weeks ago. and starting about 2 weeks ago I had a bitter taste in my mouth every day now. I am getting an endoscopy Thursday. I'm 45, in pretty good shape, but was drinking more than normal for a few months. also I've chewed tobacco for a long time but have been off and on over the past year. I haven't really had heartburn per se but can tell that my esophagus is a little inflamed when I drink or eat at times but not bad. I'm not having any swallow problems or food regurgitation. just the bitter taste and frequent clearing of throat. I'm scared.

what makes LPR more of an indicator for cancer than GERD?

JohnnyL
09-16-2011, 08:19 AM
The larynx tissue is NOT made to withstand acid or really any type of reflux so it damages easier and therefore sets you up for more of a cancer risk. The best thing to do is to get the reflux to go away and it will take several months for this to go away and the larynx to heal! Goodluck.

Katlan
09-25-2011, 05:05 AM
What research results are there that tell us LPR is more of an indicator for cancer?

gcsjr
09-25-2011, 05:48 AM
There have been quite a few studies that indicate that LPR is more closely linked to esophageal cancer than other types of GERD. A 2004 article in the Annals of Surgery was actually titled "Laryngopharyngeal Reflux Symptoms Better Predict the Presence of Esophageal Adenocarcinoma Than Typical Gastroesophageal Reflux Symptoms".

Keep in mind that the percentage of LPR sufferers who develop esophageal cancer is still very small (but is slightly higher than for GERD sufferers).