View Full Version : Hürthle Cell

09-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Hello, my husband has hashi's, and has had one nodule bx'd last Fall with benign results. He had another one present and went to the Endo due to it being extremely uncomfortable. It was not there 2 months before on the last U/S, but it is there now and it is 1.74cm in size. Biopsy results come back and state specifically:
Thyroid, right upper lobe nodule, FNA
"Blood, colloid, few lymphocytes with extensive crush artifact and rare Hürthle cells. Insufficient follicular epithelial cells present for evaluation of follicular neoplasm." Endo basically said no big deal, and set up a repeat FNA to rule out cancer.

Does this sound right to you? After reviewing what I could on Hürthle, I am concerned that another FNA is basically a waste of time, and that a lobectomy should be necessary to actually decide if the Hürthle cells are benign or not. WWYD? Every time this endo does something, we're losing two or three months due to scheduling backups. I am so concerned. Thanks in advance for your input. ~Stacey

09-19-2011, 09:56 AM
you might want to post this on the thyroid board.....it's a pretty active board and you will get more views....
and yes it's my understanding that if there are Hurthle cells you remove it to know for sure.....

09-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Thank you! :wave: