PDA

View Full Version : Who's on Omeprazole? (Stops Burn)

Ghjjf
09-24-2011, 01:11 PM
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. So something I noticed is a lot of you getting burn. For me at least, Omeprazole stops burn completly as long as I take it once a day.

For those in US, you can get it at your local pharmacy, I spotted it on holiday.

Anyway, here's my question:

I take it, it cuts your acid out completely. Although it stops the burn, I don't see how I can come off the tablets because it's not fixing the direct problem.

Anyone found any natural ways to help decrease reflux?

IWILLGETBETTER
09-24-2011, 04:25 PM
I take 20mg every morning half an hour before breakfast.
Every night come 10-12pm I get a burning stomach , my throat closing up and all the other symptoms. I might start another every night but I have b12 deficiency and they can cause that themselves so keep that in mind if you ever start to feel tired , get chapped lips or any of the other common side effects of b12 deficiency.

Ghjjf
09-25-2011, 01:42 AM
Oh wow. Glad you mentioned that, my lips are always chapped, I didn't feel it was worth telling my doctor. I'm also always tired but on a great diet and my trainer can't work it out.

What is b12 and how do I sort it?

dee088
09-25-2011, 04:53 AM
I was told by a friend to try B12. I can get it at a local drug store but don't know the proper dosing. Do I take more or less. I am always tired and have chapped lips too. Any advise on the B12? Thanks

IWILLGETBETTER
09-25-2011, 05:05 AM
I'm not sure what dosage of b12 you'd take supplement wise , I have to have jabs every 3 months for a boost of b12 and I can actually feel it within minutes. Sort of like a boost of energy and everytime it's nearing the time to get it again I start to feel the symptoms more. The jabs don't sort it out completely but they help. I've been told you can get a lot of b12 from red meat like steak but obviously that isn't very good for you anyway and whilst taking omeprazole I'm not sure there would be much point.

I think the way it works basically is that your stomach needs the acid to absorb vitamin b12 and when the omeprazole reduces the acid there's less chance you'll absorb it. You can have a basic blood test to see if your lacking it and it's worth having if you can. A very simple problem that can cause a lot of side effects.

I've read b12 deficiency can actually cause digestive problems on a few forums also , even acid reflux although that doesn't seem to be the case with me and I've only read it a few times so don't get your hopes up thinking it may be the answer to all your health problems.

If you feel generally run down get it checked out. I know what you mean about not wanting to tell the doctor , I never told mine any of my symptoms but having a blood test for something else they noticed I was low.

Ghjjf
09-25-2011, 05:20 AM
In a weeks time I get my results regarding a lot of different blood tests. I'm sure they will spot it then but I will mention it.

solofelix
09-25-2011, 08:47 AM
I'm not sure what dosage of b12 you'd take supplement wise , I have to have jabs every 3 months for a boost of b12 and I can actually feel it within minutes. Sort of like a boost of energy and everytime it's nearing the time to get it again I start to feel the symptoms more. The jabs don't sort it out completely but they help. I've been told you can get a lot of b12 from red meat like steak but obviously that isn't very good for you anyway and whilst taking omeprazole I'm not sure there would be much point.

I think the way it works basically is that your stomach needs the acid to absorb vitamin b12 and when the omeprazole reduces the acid there's less chance you'll absorb it. You can have a basic blood test to see if your lacking it and it's worth having if you can. A very simple problem that can cause a lot of side effects.

I've read b12 deficiency can actually cause digestive problems on a few forums also , even acid reflux although that doesn't seem to be the case with me and I've only read it a few times so don't get your hopes up thinking it may be the answer to all your health problems.

If you feel generally run down get it checked out. I know what you mean about not wanting to tell the doctor , I never told mine any of my symptoms but having a blood test for something else they noticed I was low.

I never eat red meat.
What other foods can I eat that will supply Vit B12
Solofelix.

Katlan
09-25-2011, 11:31 AM
Vitamin B12 is naturally found in animal products, including fish, meat, poultry, eggs, milk, and milk products.

solofelix
09-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Vitamin B12 is naturally found in animal products, including fish, meat, poultry, eggs, milk, and milk products.

Thanks for the reply.
My favourite foods are Fish, Chicken and all milk products eg. Porridge
with milk (Goats Milk) Natural yogurts which I consume every day and fruit and veg,
I must be doing the right thing.
Solofelix.

Ghjjf
09-25-2011, 12:12 PM
I can't imagine milk to be great for acid reflux? Do you have mucus?

janewhite1
09-25-2011, 01:29 PM
IF you tolerate dairy well, then lowfat dairy is good for the digestion. If you are at all lactose intolerant, stay away from it. (As many as HALF of all adults have at least a little trouble digesting dairy.) I tolerate dairy fine, and it's a great way to soothe my stomach, much more effective than Gaviscon or Tums.

The "natural" way to fix acid reflux is to figure out what's triggering it. For some people, eating small meals and avoiding certain "trigger" foods is good enough to prevent symptoms most of the time. In severe cases, if the valve at the top of the stomach is very weak, surgery may be required.

dee088
09-25-2011, 09:11 PM
I go to my dr today and she has my blood work but not in my files. I am going to ask her about B12 shots. See what she says. I had them years ago, not many because my insurance changed so I had to change drs and the new dr say I didn't need B12. I hope I get the shot

solofelix
09-25-2011, 11:51 PM
I can't imagine milk to be great for acid reflux? Do you have mucus?

Yes occasionally,
but then again I live in a damp climate, so that
wouldn't help.
Solofelix.

Katlan
09-26-2011, 12:47 AM
IF you tolerate dairy well, then lowfat dairy is good for the digestion. If you are at all lactose intolerant, stay away from it. (As many as HALF of all adults have at least a little trouble digesting dairy.) I tolerate dairy fine, and it's a great way to soothe my stomach, much more effective than Gaviscon or Tums.

The "natural" way to fix acid reflux is to figure out what's triggering it. For some people, eating small meals and avoiding certain "trigger" foods is good enough to prevent symptoms most of the time. In severe cases, if the valve at the top of the stomach is very weak, surgery may be required.

I definitely agree that all of us who suffer from acid reflux should take lifestyle and dietary steps to try and improve things. However, in my experience if your valves are worn out then you will suffer to some extent, no matter what you do. For some people acid reflux is a lifetime disease, which will need some medication. All in my opinion, of course. :)

IWILLGETBETTER
09-26-2011, 05:37 AM
I go to my dr today and she has my blood work but not in my files. I am going to ask her about B12 shots. See what she says. I had them years ago, not many because my insurance changed so I had to change drs and the new dr say I didn't need B12. I hope I get the shot

Make sure you actually need b12 shots. Get bloodtests first again if you can. I can't imagine overdosing your body with a little extra b12 will be dangerous but I can't imagine it being helpful.

dee088
09-27-2011, 06:07 AM
Make sure you actually need b12 shots. Get bloodtests first again if you can. I can't imagine overdosing your body with a little extra b12 will be dangerous but I can't imagine it being helpful.

Thanks for that info. Saw the dr yesterday and asked about them and she said she needs to see my blood work from last month (results not in folder yet) so well see next month. I know certain vitamins in high doses in not good at all. Vitamin C you can take all day long and in passes in your urine what it does not use.

janewhite1
09-27-2011, 06:53 PM
The B vitamins are water-soluble, like C. Overdose on water-soluble vitamins is possible, but you have to try pretty hard.

A, D and E are fat-soluble. Don't overdose on those, because your body can't easily shed the excess.

Definitely, anyone who's on PPIs long term should be monitored for nutritional deficiencies and watch for osteoporosis. Some of us do fine, some of us don't.

IWILLGETBETTER
09-28-2011, 06:57 AM
I've decided today I'm going to be coming off my omeprazole.
They just seem to cause to many problems with people from what I've seen and they're not helping my symptoms anyway.
I've only been taking them for a couple of months but instead of taking a 20mg this morning like usual I took a 10mg instead. Eventually I'll hopefully be taking none of them.

My diet is already perfect with no junk at all , barely any sugar , no dairy , no gluten. Only vegetables , chicken and gluten free bread.

What I'm going to try and do is take garlic capsules since I think what triggered my reflux personally is antibiotics. Probably destroying all my good bacteria , I'm upping my probiotics , taking garlic capsules for a month at least and then see how I feel.

I'd rather fight through almost unbearable symptoms and be trying something new to resolve the problem instead of taking omeprazole and pretend they're working for me.

Hopefully I'll start to feel a little more awake once I've stopped them also.

janewhite1
09-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Careful with the garlic capsules: For me, garlic is a huge trigger.

You might want to change just one thing at a time, and see what happens.

seaspray
10-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Hi there! I have read a lot of your posts, and I feel for you. I know of a supplement that may help you. It is something that lets your body heal itself at the cellular level. If you are interested in hearing more about it, let me know. I am taking it now and noticing some results. I also give myself a B12 shot once a week that my naturopathic doc prescribed. Your qulity of life will be better if you find the right thing. :)

dee088
10-05-2011, 05:53 PM
My daughter was having problems and bought omeprazole from the store. Then she went to the doctor and she prescribed omeprazole. She jusr started taking it so we will see how she react to it.