PDA

View Full Version : Another IBS question

Marc46
06-23-2012, 11:42 AM
I'm sure you folks are sick of being asked the same things over and over, but here comes another one.

I am a 50 year old male.
My GI doc diagnosed me with IBS many years ago. How he did that I don't know.

Anyway, I would go through bouts of normal BM's to diarrhea from time to time. Virtually never suffer with constipation like my 71 year old mother does. She supposedly has IBS as well.

A few months ago, I started to have almost constant daily issues. It was a big change from how things have been for years. It's even tough to go anywhere, or do anything because of the symptoms.

I feel like I am always bloated with gas, my stomach gurgles terribly a good part of the time as well.
My BM's have been alternating from explosive watery diarrhea with what looks like foam, to loose stools with huge gas pockets in between expulsions.

I hate to be so graphic, but I'm sure you are all used to it.
Also see a lot of undigested food in my stools. Here is something I never noticed before,........Let's say I eat home made Mexican food at 8PM for dinner.

12 hours or less later I will be hit with gurgling cramps, and have to run for the toilet. Might be 5 AM, might be 8AM, but it's rarely over 12 hours. When I go, regardless of whether it's watery, or gas filled loose stools, I can see exactly the vegetables that I ate, and my BM even smells like the food I ate.
It doesn't 'stink' like what you can smell in a public restroom.

I had my last colonoscopy February of 2011, and was totally clean. No signs of polyps, and all of my biopsies for other bowel diseases came back negative as they always have.
Due to the length of time it takes for colon cancer to develop, and the fact that I also see no blood, I'm not too worried about that being an issue.

Does this sound like normal IBS, that may have changed for me due to stress, or does it sound like something else?
I feel fine otherwise, and I am not losing weight but whatever is causing this is ruining my life.

It's kind of hard to work, and have any type of life when I am going to the bathroom three to five times a day, along with the bloating and gas on top of it.

Any suggestions, or input would be very much appreciated. as this is really starting to ruin my life.
Sorry for the very long post also.

toepepper
06-24-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm sure you folks are sick of being asked the same things over and over, but here comes another one.

I am a 50 year old male.
My GI doc diagnosed me with IBS many years ago. How he did that I don't know.

Anyway, I would go through bouts of normal BM's to diarrhea from time to time. Virtually never suffer with constipation like my 71 year old mother does. She supposedly has IBS as well.

A few months ago, I started to have almost constant daily issues. It was a big change from how things have been for years. It's even tough to go anywhere, or do anything because of the symptoms.

I feel like I am always bloated with gas, my stomach gurgles terribly a good part of the time as well.
My BM's have been alternating from explosive watery diarrhea with what looks like foam, to loose stools with huge gas pockets in between expulsions.

I hate to be so graphic, but I'm sure you are all used to it.
Also see a lot of undigested food in my stools. Here is something I never noticed before,........Let's say I eat home made Mexican food at 8PM for dinner.

12 hours or less later I will be hit with gurgling cramps, and have to run for the toilet. Might be 5 AM, might be 8AM, but it's rarely over 12 hours. When I go, regardless of whether it's watery, or gas filled loose stools, I can see exactly the vegetables that I ate, and my BM even smells like the food I ate.
It doesn't 'stink' like what you can smell in a public restroom.

I had my last colonoscopy February of 2011, and was totally clean. No signs of polyps, and all of my biopsies for other bowel diseases came back negative as they always have.
Due to the length of time it takes for colon cancer to develop, and the fact that I also see no blood, I'm not too worried about that being an issue.

Does this sound like normal IBS, that may have changed for me due to stress, or does it sound like something else?
I feel fine otherwise, and I am not losing weight but whatever is causing this is ruining my life.

It's kind of hard to work, and have any type of life when I am going to the bathroom three to five times a day, along with the bloating and gas on top of it.

Any suggestions, or input would be very much appreciated. as this is really starting to ruin my life.
Sorry for the very long post also.
Sounds like me! I've been pretty good for a couple of years and last month has been awful! When I started taking probiotics, my life seemed to change for the better. Don't know what's going on now. Not doing anything or eating any different and it seems like in the middle of the night or early AM, the cramps and diahrea start. Sometimes it continues during the day and sometimes my days are okay once I'm cleaned out. I'm 61 and really tired of dealing with this. Had a clean colonscopy and endocscopy January of 2011. I also burp constantly and the gurgling stomache!!

Many times my food passes so quickly, it also is in the same form. I'm like you - don't know what else to do! I still work but it's sure difficult some days! Stress definitely makes mine worse but how do you control that??

Hope this makes you feel a little better. It always helps me to know someone else is dealing with the same things I am!

Rich775
06-25-2012, 06:43 AM
I have IBS and similar symptoms. Food passing undigested occasionally is not unusual, particularly green leafy veggies like lettuce and spinach, and not of particular concern. I think regularly passing a lot of foods undigested should raise a caution flag for absorption issues, which is a question of your body getting the nutrition it needs from the food. If it persists I would recommend a visit to the doc to see if labs should be done to test this. Normal blood tests can show a lot. I've heard of specific absorption tests, but I don't know much about them.

I have found that some foods, salads for instance, are worse for me than other foods. If I know that I'm going to be eating something that is sure to produce problems, or if I'm going to be in a public setting where I want to avoid symptoms, I take a couple of anti-diarrheals (like immodium) shortly before/with/after the meal. It slows down the digestive system leaving the food in the GI tract longer. I haven't asked the doc whether there are any problems with long-term use of anti-diarrheals, and I only do it occasionally. I wouldn't recommend doing it much without asking a doc about it. But it's nice on occasion to avoid the explosion, to have more formed stools, and to not have to flush 3 times to get all the leafy stuff to go down.