PDA

View Full Version : My Positive Colonoscopy Story

jessikat3184
07-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Hi all. I know I was so scared when I had my colonoscopy, and read so much online, and it seemed like I read alot of bad stuff that scared me even further. So, I want to tell you about my positive experience, and also give a few tips that I wish I would have had. I was given Suprep for my colonoscopy prep. Suprep consists of two parts. The first part you take at around 5 or 6 oclock the night before (depending on what time you are having your colonoscopy), and then the next part you do the next morning around 5 am. The day before your procedure, you are on a strict diet. You can eat jello (no reds or purples), chicken or beef broth. It is an all liquid diet. You are allowed to drink water, or light colored juices (again no reds or purples). I drank apple juice all day. I was starving to death, and that was the worst part. The night before you start your strict diet, eat until midnight. I wished I had. The scariest part to me, was not the procedure in itself, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to hold the prep down, because I have never been able to take liquid medicine without vomiting. I had heard that the prep was very nasty (but that the Suprep was on the of the least nasty tasting ones). Make sure the prep is good and cold, so keep it in the fridge for a couple of days before you have to drink it. But, I had myself a plan. When it came time to mix my prep, I DID NOT smell it. I was so afraid I would not be able to do it. So, I mixed it, closed my eyes, held my nose, and chugged it like I was at a college party. When I absolutley couldn't breathe anymore, I stopped, took a deep breathe, and began chugging again. I had it down in less than a minute. After you drink it, you have to start drinking water. There is a certain amount of water you must drink within an hour of drinking your prep. My stomach was so full and bloated, but I sat down on the couch, drank my water slowly while I watched something on TV I was very interested in so I didn't think about my stomach and the water. My suggestion would be to go ahead and either loose your pants, or wear very loose sweat pants, because you won't want anything pressing against your stomach. Getting close to two hours after taking my prep I started to get worried it wasn't going to work. Because I had been so constipated with the problems I was having and nothing seemed to break me loose, but at hour 2, it started. Make sure you stay close to the bathroom, and make sure and use wet wipes after every Bowel Movement. This will be gentler on your bottom since you'll be having to wipe so much. Do not run to the bathroom, you will not be able to hold it while you run. About 2 hours after starting the bathroom runs, I was almost completely cleaned out, and ready for bed. The next morning, I woke up, did my last round of prep. This time, my body took it a little harder. Because I had not eaten anything, I got very weak and felt like passing out, but I just sat down and took deep breathes, and sipped my water. By the time I was ready to leave for the procedure, I was almost cleaned out. The only bad thing about the whole day of the procedure was that my doctor was late getting to the surgery center, and every magazine I read while I was waiting seemed like it was dedicated to food. But, I am the type of person that gets very ill when I am hungry. Once I got in there and was put to sleep, I was perfectly fine. When I woke up, I felt absolutely zero pain, and once I got out of my groggy feeling from the sleepy medicine they gave me, I was ready to leave and go eat. So, don't be afraid, and get your colonoscopies. If you have anymore questions I'd be happy to answer.

Artist16
07-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Hey, I am having my first colonoscopy on tuesday. I'm pretty freaked about it, and I have to take suprep on monday. However, the instructions I was given by the GI were different than on the box. I have to take the first dose at 5 pm, then the next at 9 pm with lots of water in between. The next day at 12:45 is my procedure. I've always heard that the prep is in two separate days. I feel like I need to do what the instructions say and not the box. But I'm worried that the effects will be overly explosive. I am hoping not. I am relieved by reading posts like yours. I have horrible anxiety and usually can't stand taking large pills or solutions because I gag easy. And I am nervous about discomfort during the procedure, because I am sensitive to gas pressure, it gets painful. Since during the procedure they expand the colon with air, I am worried about pain. I think I may ask to be completely out and not just in a haze like some people. I don't want to watch or be even the least bit aware. I don't know anyone my age who has had one, so I have no one to really relate to in that sense. Thank you for your post though, it's extremely nice to read good experiences, unlike some I've read where people have literally screamed in pain.

jessikat3184
07-08-2012, 07:36 AM
Hey, I am having my first colonoscopy on tuesday. I'm pretty freaked about it, and I have to take suprep on monday. However, the instructions I was given by the GI were different than on the box. I have to take the first dose at 5 pm, then the next at 9 pm with lots of water in between. The next day at 12:45 is my procedure. I've always heard that the prep is in two separate days. I feel like I need to do what the instructions say and not the box. But I'm worried that the effects will be overly explosive. I am hoping not. I am relieved by reading posts like yours. I have horrible anxiety and usually can't stand taking large pills or solutions because I gag easy. And I am nervous about discomfort during the procedure, because I am sensitive to gas pressure, it gets painful. Since during the procedure they expand the colon with air, I am worried about pain. I think I may ask to be completely out and not just in a haze like some people. I don't want to watch or be even the least bit aware. I don't know anyone my age who has had one, so I have no one to really relate to in that sense. Thank you for your post though, it's extremely nice to read good experiences, unlike some I've read where people have literally screamed in pain.

Hi Artist, my procedure was set for 10 am the next morning, and if I remember correctly, I had to take the next set of prep that next morning. Your doctor may have had better experiences with his patients taking it all in one day. If you decide to go off the box, just wake up early and take the next set at about 5 am. If you decide to go by your doctors instructions, I'm sure that will be fine too. When I was having my colonoscopy, I read that sometimes depending on certain patient situations, the doctors will change up the prep instructions. I am young as well, (27), and didn't have anyone my age to really talk to about it either. When I had my procedure, the surgery center I had it at gave me a choice of what I wanted for my knock out juice. It is also okay to call your doctors office back and ask them what they plan to do as far as putting you to sleep, that way it can kind of ease your mind a little bit. But, it is also okay to speak up and tell them what you want. As far as the prep making you gag, I did. But, I had to put myself in a very positive place and not think about it. While I was chugging the prep, I did gag, but I just swallowed it back, took a really deep breathe, and didn't think about it anymore. That is my very best advice, is to put yourself in a very positive place where you don't think about what you are doing. I am the type of person where I dwell on things, and think about things too much, so that was hard for me to do, but absolutely necessary to get through it. I felt absolutely no pain after the procedure. I did experience gas, but because there was no poop in my colon, the gas didn't get blocked, so I didn't have pain when passing gas. I will be praying for you, and I hope everything goes well for you.

sammi2
07-09-2012, 06:58 AM
Are you allowed to mix your prep with lemonade or ginger ale? That's what a lot of people do & it taste good.

SickinNJ
07-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Don't freak about a c-scope. They are preformed more often in the US than dental cleanings, they are easy peasy.....also I feel better after flushing out all the bad toxins....you will too

jessikat3184
07-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Are you allowed to mix your prep with lemonade or ginger ale? That's what a lot of people do & it taste good.

I believe you can, but I read that it made it even worse. So I decided just not too.

Jessi702
07-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Thank you so much for posting this. I am going to see my GI for the first time on Friday, and have a feeling he will want to do a C-scope due to my family history and background, and am a bit nervous since ive never been knocked out.