PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else experience this?

tryingtobeokay
08-09-2012, 10:30 AM
I have swollen inginual lyph nodes for at least 4 months. Very painful.
Dr gave me cipro which I took for 10 days, and it did not help. She did not even verify if I had an infection. Just felt em, and prescribed cipro. I went back for follow up and she acted surprised that they were still there and I was in pain.
I have already had a CT scan which said my lymph nodes were not enlarged, but I can feel them! :(
My gastro says I am constipated becasue My CT scan --2 of them showed stool--even though I use the bathroom several times a day! And it's like loose--not even hard like most constipated people.
The doc finally put me on Amitiza last week---still pooping, and still in pain.
Does anyone out there have swollen inginual lymph nodes and does the constipation cause this?

flipfleury
08-13-2012, 10:42 PM
I have swollen inginual lyph nodes for at least 4 months. Very painful.
Dr gave me cipro which I took for 10 days, and it did not help. She did not even verify if I had an infection. Just felt em, and prescribed cipro. I went back for follow up and she acted surprised that they were still there and I was in pain.
I have already had a CT scan which said my lymph nodes were not enlarged, but I can feel them! :(
My gastro says I am constipated becasue My CT scan --2 of them showed stool--even though I use the bathroom several times a day! And it's like loose--not even hard like most constipated people.
The doc finally put me on Amitiza last week---still pooping, and still in pain.
Does anyone out there have swollen inginual lymph nodes and does the constipation cause this?

Was your whole intestine backed with lots of stool ? You will have some stool, not a lot in your intestine show up in an x-ray because your intestines constantly produce stool. That's why you have to take so many laxatives before a colonoscopy or barium enema so they can see your colon and not just stool in it. Sometimes when you're very constipated your stools will be watery because it's going around a large mass of stool that is so dry and hard that you can't pass it without a suppository or enema.

tryingtobeokay
08-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Thank you for your response. But even after a cleanse--still my lymph nodes are swollen. How long before they stop hurting? Do you know?

I have done 2 cleanses as if prepping for a colonoscopy. But still---they hurt and are swollen.

Is there anything else I should do besides the Amitiza?

ladybud
08-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Constipation does not cause enlarged painful lymph nodes. Normal lymph node size is 1cm or less. Pain usually indicates inflammation or infection. Four months is a long time to have enlarged nodes. There are many reasons why nodes can be enlarged. You have nodes in lots of areas of the body, some of which you cannot see (chest, abdomen, pelvis). Things that can cause enlarged nodes are autoimmune diseases, infections below or above the nodes (inguinal would include legs feet and pelvis), malignancies, and some viral infections. If the nodes are bigger than a grapefruit seed, I would see another Dr, and get some thorough testing. You need a CBC, chest xray, chemistry panel, and blood tests for autoimmune diseases. All your lymph node areas should be physically checked, and a pelvic exam, PAP smear done. BTW, do you have a cat? Any bites or scratches before the nodes enlarged? Cat scratch fever can cause enlarged lymph nodes that are painful. How do you feel in general? Fatigue, fever, night sweats, cough, shortness of breath, pallor and weight loss are more concerning symptoms. Sometimes the only way to figure it out is thru a biopsy, but I think you'll get some clues with the blood tests, etc. I would see another Dr. personally-an internist to start with.

ladybud
08-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Constipation does not cause enlarged painful lymph nodes. Normal lymph node size is 1cm or less. Pain usually indicates inflammation or infection. Four months is a long time to have enlarged nodes. There are many reasons why nodes can be enlarged. You have nodes in lots of areas of the body, some of which you cannot see (chest, abdomen, pelvis). Things that can cause enlarged nodes are autoimmune diseases, infections below or above the nodes (inguinal would include legs feet and pelvis), malignancies, and some viral infections. If the nodes are bigger than a grapefruit seed, I would see another Dr, and get some thorough testing. You need a CBC, chest xray, chemistry panel, and blood tests for autoimmune diseases. All your lymph node areas should be physically checked, and a pelvic exam, PAP smear done. BTW, do you have a cat? Any bites or scratches before the nodes enlarged? Cat scratch fever can cause enlarged lymph nodes that are painful. How do you feel in general? Fatigue, fever, night sweats, cough, shortness of breath, pallor and weight loss are more concerning symptoms. Sometimes the only way to figure it out is thru a biopsy, but I think you'll get some clues with the blood tests, etc. I would see another Dr. personally-an internist to start with.

tryingtobeokay
08-14-2012, 12:32 PM

Thanks so much for your reply. I do not have a cat. When I told my gastro about the swollen inguinals, they ordered a ct scan. Said my lymphs were not enlarged but the CT said:

The Gastro doc told me to go to a primary care because the CT scan came back lymph nodes not enlarged. I had a CBC in JUNE that did not have elevated white count--however, my nodes weren't that big then. THe primary care felt them and said they were enlarged and were probably infected. She did not do any blood work. After 10 days of Cipro there was no change...and she said you must be constipated---here's Amitiza. I was totally shocked. I have just moved to this area, and so I was a total loss of what to do next. I have been so healthy my whole life...and then this. I have been tired. I have lost about 5 pounds. But I'm a small person.
The pain seems to increase If i exercise or move.

Again, thank you for your response. I have since made an appt with a reputable internist. I have to wait till OCT though! :(

If the above sclerotic findings mean anything to you--please enlighten me. I know I need to go back to the gastro that ordered the pelvic CT scan, but I have lost total faith in the process. :(