PDA

View Full Version : Weight gain help if there are any nutrition experts out there!

Jigglypuff2011
08-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Hey guys! :D

I searched the forum and found a "weight loss" section but not weight gain, so I had to put this in here instead. :)

Okay, basically I've always been skinny and never able to eat enough to put on weight. The only time I managed it was when I visited my brother for a week in Scotland, and he cooked proper meals for breakfast, lunch and tea. But that weight was gone not long after I got home. The sad thing is at home we can't actually afford that kind of food for every single meal, so at the moment I'm stuck eating the bare minimum - it helps me keep the weight on, but not gain anything. I'm not eating anywhere near enough calories, and since I walk everywhere and do a very physical course at college means any weight I do gain is gone quickly.

Sooo....I've turned to ****** and I'm looking at these bars and shakes which are meant to help you put on weight. They're a lot more convenient, and hopefully if I find one which does work I can eat it alongside my regular meals. I don't know much about nutrition though, so what exactly would I be looking for on these bars and shakes? (high protein? Carbohydrate? Or both?)

Thanks for any help!

sjb
08-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Greetingsjigglypuff2011! Welcome to the general Health boards! :D I hope the needed support is found. I personally would not bother with the vast majority of them since they often contain additives or even too much sugar which is not that healthy. Instead I would eat a wide variety of fruits, grains, legumes, nuts and vegetables. The fruits and vegetables contain important enzymes which help digest sugars and fats for weight. Of course a dietician could be consulted but I would ask to avoid the meats and cheeses when making the diet plan out.

If these are not present in the diet it might be mighty hard to gain weight. Pineapple and papaya both contain enzymes and green and orange vegetables daily in the diet are supposed to be healthy. I might not bother even with some that claim to have the enzymes in them because they sometimes are from animal products and animals are known to carry diseases such as cancer, bovine leukemia etc. The heating from the baking process probably destroys important enzymes and it is probably better to get it fresh from a plant instead of used and second hand from the animal which already used it.

In summary I think that to limit oneself to mostly food bars would be a serious mistake in the end. Too much of grain and artificial vitamins and minerals often added to food bars also could potentially contribute to kidney stones in my opinion. Vets have found that animals fed too much grain get kidney stones. :( Eating the vegetation for those animals might have helped in my opinion for a better balance of diet. :wave: Peace, sjb

sjb
08-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Greetings jigglypuff2011! :D Besides the dietician I might also want to ask a different health professional to do an evaluation in case there are other things wrong which are inhibiting the appetite such as a bad stomach or something more serious such as a malignancy. An antimalignan antibody serum test might be useful for that. Peace, sjb

Jigglypuff2011
08-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Just to clarify, I won't put myself on an all food-bar diet. They'll just be a snack just once a day or a couple of times a week alongside my usual foods (which is usually pasta, noodles, meats, fruits, veg, dairy products like cheese etc and things like that).

I have a good appetite as well. I'm one of those people who eat what they want and puts on weight so slowly, but I just really need to put on an extra stone or two to bring myself up to a healthy weight.

Thank you for all of the information though! It's greatly appreciated. :)

sjb
08-12-2012, 06:58 AM
Greetings jigglypuff2011! You are welcome! :) Cheese contains mold and tyramine. Tyramine can raise blood pressure and cause headache. Cheese in my opinion is completely unfit for food. If one uses occasional olive oil in small amounts it is a bit more healthy (can be laxative) it may help but here again the enzymes for digesting it in the first place must be present. Peace, sjb :)