PDA

View Full Version : IBS/Gastritis

MKrory
08-28-2012, 02:17 AM
I've had IBS for almost 7 years now. Up until last year my IBS was irritating at worst. I'd have cramps randomly, run to the bathroom, and then when I was finished the cramps would disappear. Lately in this last year, it's been more of just pure cramps, rather than the urge to go to the bathroom. One morning I found myself in pain in my upper abdomen. It was so painful that after an hour of taking pain pills and waiting for it to go away and not being able to stand upright I went to the ER. They told me it was gastritis. Ever since that day I've had more and more random pain in my abdomen. Tonight was the third bad episode I have had or am currently having. I woke up in the middle of the night. Same pain of that first time only so much sharper, enough to make me cry. It's so painful it's kind of frightening, but I'm sure it's the same thing. I can't keep doing this all my life. Anyone else out there with the same thing?

janewhite1
08-28-2012, 06:26 AM
Gastritis is different from IBS, and yes, the pain can be quite intense. I've had gastritis for many years.

Go to a gastroenterologist. In the meanwhile, try antacids rather than painkillers, since some painkillers (Advil especially) actually make gastritis worse. Eat small bland meals. Acidic or greasy food will make it worse, and sometimes it gets worse when the stomach is empty.

worrywort
09-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Gastritis is different from IBS, and yes, the pain can be quite intense. I've had gastritis for many years.

Go to a gastroenterologist. In the meanwhile, try antacids rather than painkillers, since some painkillers (Advil especially) actually make gastritis worse. Eat small bland meals. Acidic or greasy food will make it worse, and sometimes it gets worse when the stomach is empty.

I also have gastritis! just had my 3rd colonoscopy! I am 34! the pain in unbearable at times!