PDA

View Full Version : Am I going to get food poisoning??

Lucibella23
09-02-2012, 01:02 PM
I had an open can of vegetarian refried beans in my fridge from over 2 weeks ago. Usually when those beans go bad, the STINK! I went to toss them this morning, and was shocked when I opened the can and they looked and smelled completely fine. Not wanting to waste them, I heated them up and ate them with my lunch, and they tasted fine. For whatever reason after I ate them, I started looking stuff up online and apparently foods can look and smell fine, but still be bad?!?! Now I'm terrified that I'm going to become violently ill within a few hours.. Is there any chance that they really were just not bad, and I'll be fine? (Just a side note, our fridge is REALLY cold, and it isn't uncommon for my vegetables to have a little bit of ice on them, could this possibly have helped keep them fresh?).

I don't mean to freak out, I've just recently gotten through some major health stuff and would hate for something so stupid to set me back.

Thank you!

Luci

slenderella
09-02-2012, 03:49 PM
I think you're going to be just fine!!

quincy
09-03-2012, 12:04 PM
I wouldn't have eaten them. Info I found is this....refried beans left from an opened can should be restored in another container, and it should be consumed within 3 - 4 days if in the fridge or 1 - 2 months in the freezer.

Never trust your nose if it doesn't smell...maybe write a date on the container and you'll be safe that way.

Another thing...get a fridge thermometer, it's a trustworthy way to make sure your fridge and freezer isn't too cold or too warm. Freezing veggies means it might be too cold....or needs a good cleaning. I have two thermometers, one for fridge and one for the freezer. I've brought it to friends' houses to check theirs as well...affordable security.

Since you are concerned at this point, I would suggest you purchase good probiotics (not just yogurt) and take them at night before bedtime (in case you get gas from them)...that should help get your digestive tract back in good flora if there was anything wonky in the beans.

Lesson learned for you....

q