PDA

View Full Version : Low grade fever for over 25 days

hrh8
09-06-2012, 08:23 AM
I have had a low grade fever of 99.5 for over 25 days now. I went to my doctor with stomach pain where my belly button is and he had a upper Endoscopy done which showed a mild acid in my stomach. The day after I started running a fever and later that week I started with having stomach pain but in a different place. I went to my doctor again and he did an X-ray and saw I had a lot of stool in my colon. He also checked my blood work and said it was fine. He told me to go home and clean myself out and gave me a shot of rocephin to get rid of the fever. The fever never broke and I called and he called in Ciprofloxacin for 10 days to take. I have taken the medication up and still have the fever and stomach pain. I called back and they said to do another round of the Ciprofloxacin. I am getting concerned about this since the fever has lasted this long and the Ciprofloxacin did not help it the first time.

hrh8
09-06-2012, 11:32 AM
If you have any information I would like to hear it.

zip452
09-06-2012, 04:55 PM
I am not sure what to suggest. If it ever spikes higher perhaps go back or go to the ER as it may be a more serious infection that the cipro/rocephin won't help. Do you have any other symptoms other than the pain and fever? Do you have chills or night sweats or have you lost any weight? Do you have any breathing problems? Does anything make the pain better or worse? (like certain positions, movements, eating, sleeping, etc?) Did they check you for H Pylori? Have you had any stool samples done? Are your bowel movements normal for you? (did you feel constipated or did the x-ray alert you to it first?)

ladybud
09-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Low grade fevers are often due to inflammation rather than infection. I personally would not take another round of Cipro, since 2 antibiotic courses didn't work. Cipro can cause complications by killing off the normal bacteria in bowel and then you get herendous diarrhea. The previous poster asked some good questions. I would possibly see the GI Dr who did the endoscopy to look more at the small intestine, as pain across the middle usually comes from there. Did they put you on something for the acid? That doesn't cause fever, so it has to be more than just acid. A sed rate and CRP (blood tests for inflammation) might be helpful, and probably were not done on your initial blood tests. Your family history may be helpful too, if any autoimmune disorders run in your family, they tend to cause inflammation and sometimes fever.

hrh8
09-06-2012, 06:17 PM
I did schedule an appointment with the GI that did the endoscopy on me. My other symptoms included constipation which I told the doctor about before the X-Ray. After I start taking something to help the constipation it turns into diarrhea so my bowl movements have not been normal at all. My doctor hasnít asked for any stool samples or no other extended blood work. I have been waking up with night sweats and having chills in the morning. No breathing problems. I had my gallbladder removed last year and a few months after that I had to have my bile duct cleared out and the GI that cleared my bile duct out is the same one that did the endoscopy. My father has had to have 12 inches of his colon removed due to diverticulitis. Not sure if there is any autoimmune disorders. I did not start the other round of Cipro if it didnít work the first time I canít think it would help this time either. I agree with there has to be inflammation rather than infection. He did give my Prilosec 40 mg once daily for the acid.