PDA

View Full Version : seeking knowledge on opiate addiction!

mawinlaw
09-07-2012, 09:16 AM
My soninlaw has been on methadone for over a year. He claims that he wants to get off the opiates. His solution was to switch to seboxtin, which i guess he got from the clinic a couple times. For some reason the clinic will no longer help him and he was getting it off the street. Now, that is becoming a problem. It seems to me hes sidestepping the issue. After detoxing, the need for "help" ( chemical) is mental? Soif thats true, wont he always need help to cope?I in othef words, isnt he just trading one addiction for another? I understand mental addiction, but not how to treat it.

Phoenix
09-08-2012, 10:15 AM
My soninlaw has been on methadone for over a year. He claims that he wants to get off the opiates. His solution was to switch to seboxtin, which i guess he got from the clinic a couple times. For some reason the clinic will no longer help him and he was getting it off the street. Now, that is becoming a problem. It seems to me hes sidestepping the issue. After detoxing, the need for "help" ( chemical) is mental? Soif thats true, wont he always need help to cope?I in othef words, isnt he just trading one addiction for another? I understand mental addiction, but not how to treat it.

Mawinlaw

There seems to be more to this than meets the eye.
According to your post,your son-in-law no longer attends a clinic.The reason behind this may speak volumes to his current situation.
Please realize that detoxing is only a step towards recovery.The body will still be recuperating from the abuse sustained by it.
If he is being supplied by the streets,he has more than detox issues to be concerned of.
The possibility of arrest is of primary concern here.
----------------------------
There is a psychological element to this,which may need to be addressed via medication and/or therapy sessions.
Sorry to say but until he receives official medical treatment for his concerns,it's going to be an uphill battle.

Respectfully
Phoenix