PDA

View Full Version : doctor refusing 2nd blood test

Sally8013
09-14-2012, 09:04 AM
I saw my (now ex) gp this morning.

My blood test results had come back from the lab with 3 abnormal results.

He told me my results are NORMAL!

He has refused me a 2nd blood test.

My serum potassium is 5.5.

Erythrocyte sedimentation rate 11mm/h.

Activated partial thromboplastin time ratio 1.11.

I have written a complaint to the surgery.

The dr. told my husband i needed to get myself a new dr.

I walked out in disgust.

I am now worried i may not be able to find a new dr. as i will be blacklisted.

My main concern is that i have heart disease as all my siblings and my parents died of heart attacks.

The last time my cholesterol was taken it was 6.5.

This gp has not taken me seriously.

Any advice out there?

East Sussex

Titchou
09-14-2012, 04:48 PM
I am not familiar with values in your country. How high or low with regard to the lab's standards were these values?

Sally8013
09-15-2012, 05:23 AM
Hi thanks for getting back.

The potassium is meant to be between 3.5 - 5.0. So my reading is 10% over the highest normal range.

The other 2 i haven't a clue, i don't even know what they are for.

Titchou
09-15-2012, 06:15 AM
As for the potassium, since it really isn't all that high, I'd try diet to lower it. As for the other 2, not knowing if they are high or low, I don't really know what to offer. Do you not have places over there where you can just walk in and get blood tests? We have them here.

Sally8013
09-15-2012, 08:07 AM
Thanks for replying,

no we don't have walk in places here.

I'm not sure what to do.

We have private hospitals though and i'm thinking of phoning on Monday and asking them if they do blood testing. I'm not sure what the cost would be.

I can't seem to find anything much on the internet about the other 2 abnormal results, so i don't know whether they are high or low either.

I went to the gp (general practicioner) as i had explained bruising on my inner arms, both sides. I'd had it for about 6 weeks, it would come and go during all of that time. The bruises were different shapes etc. all the time. It was really weird, i've never had it before and again can't find too much on the internet on this either. I definetely haven't knocked myself or anything.

The gp didn't even mention whether there had been any improvement.

I've only met him twice now as i was new to the practice.

Showed him the bruising and he said to have the blood test and if nothing showed up it was one of those things!

It's happened for some reason, whatever that is, he obviously doesn't know.

Don't know what the point of the blood tests were though as i might as well not have had them if he's not going to do anything about abnormal results and call them normal. Seems crazy to me!

Titchou
09-15-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm confused. Why do you think these two values are abnormal if you don't know what the normal values are for that lab? Here, every the report shows the range a score should be such as: Blood sugar 60 ( 70-90) or whatever meaning that your result was 60 and the proper range is 70-90. Does that make sense?

Sally8013
09-16-2012, 12:31 AM
Hi there,

many thanks again.

Yes i understand.

Only a few of my results show what the lab's normal range is.

I have a paper printout of the results.

it states that my potassium is 5.5 and is written ABNORMAL next to it

the ESR is 11 and is written ABNORMAL next to it

the APTTR is written 1.11 and is written ABNORMAL next to it.

So you see the lab have decided that these 3 tests are ABNORMAL according to their ranges.

Everthing i can find on the potassium level says it should be between 3.5 and 5. Mine being 5.5 is 10% over the highest figure. This is cause for concern, but the gp has decided these results are normal! Obviously they are not.

Logical i believe i should be re-tested to confirm.

I cannot see why not it makes sense to me.

Titchou
09-16-2012, 05:31 AM
OK, in that case I would call the lab and ask them what the range values are. It may be that it really doesn't matter. Like my blood sugar is low whenever I have a fasting blood test. Well, all that means is that I need to eat more often. It's nothing that medical science can do much about. And it's not always that low....maybe a few points. So we never worry about it.

Once you find out whether these values are low or high, then we can do more research. Or maybe someone from over there will see this thread and jump in and let us know.

I tried but couldn't easily find any information on whether those values are high or low but a search rendered lots of information on what those are and what may cause an abnormal reading.

zip452
09-16-2012, 06:59 AM
I think that your doctor should agree to give you another test seeing as you had multiple abnormal results for that lab. Perhaps they do not have significance but it is possible that you are in the early stages of something. I agree that a simple repeat should be allowed - it is not as if you are asking for something ridiculous such as 2 referrals and 3 MRI's because of 3 blood tests that may have only been a little bit off.

zip452
09-16-2012, 07:02 AM
Sometimes the ESR range is to 10, so you are not that high if that is the case. A potassium of 5.5 should maybe be followed up with some basic kidney function tests. I am not sure what the APTTR normal range is usually - but I am pretty sure it is for clotting. I suppose something simple like a vitamin or mineral imbalance could cause all of these abnormal results.

Sally8013
09-16-2012, 08:40 AM
Thank you both for your input.

I will phone the hospital tomorrow that did the tests and ask about the ranges.

I will also ask whether i should have a repeat test. They may not tell me as will probably say need to speak to gp but no harm in asking.

What would cause an abnormal reading on th esr and the apttr?

I've managed to find info on the potassium.

I think the esr and the apttr are to do with clotting as well, so something to do with my unexplained/sponateneous bruising that i went to see him about!

Thanks for agreeing that the 2nd blood test suggestion is not too outrageous.

I agree i'm not asking for a boob job or something really expensive after all, just want to have peace of mind.

Instead i've been left with the complete opposite!

Sally8013
09-17-2012, 06:40 AM
Hi,

I rang the hospital.

To cut a long story short.

I was told that the potassium level may be due to the blood having been taken in the dr.s surgery, so not necessarily accurate.

Fat lot of good that is then.

The other 2 tests were told were just out of the normal ranges.

I did ask for the ranges but they wouldn't tell me.

Said to discuss with gp!

What gp? I don't have one now!

So at the end of the day. not really any the wiser and without a gp.

The one i had was no good any way so no big loss but if i'm ill now will just have to go to hospital and wait over 4 hours to be seen.

Titchou
09-17-2012, 02:47 PM
If you had not urinated in a while - or eaten foods high in postassium before the test - those could cause it to be high - as they are the usual causes. As for the others, I do not know.

Sally8013
09-18-2012, 12:39 AM
Thanks Titchou,

I am always urinating so definetely not that.

As regards to food.

I had toast with marmalade which i usually have.

The blood was taken at 9am.

I have now handed in my paperwork to another dr.s practice so hopefully they will put me on their books.

If not, i'm stuffed as my reputation for asking for a 2nd blood test will obviously be preceding me, ha ha!

To be honest, i am glad i found out that the gp was not to be trusted so soon.

I already knew i wasn't being taken seriously.

I hope the next practice is different but i won't hold my breath.

If all hope fails, i will have to go back to my old dr.s 100 miles away and register there. At least i was treated with respect there.