PDA

View Full Version : Brain Problems After Car Accident

jennynolazco
09-20-2012, 10:07 PM
My brother has been in two car accidents this past year. Once in a while he acts very strange. Right now he just came home and is falling over, doesn't respond to my questions, and laughing over things I say. He has never done drugs so I know that isn't the problem. We've gone to the neurosurgeon and he said that the right side of his brain isn't working as properly as it should. I'm very worried for him. He acts retarded, for lack of a better term. What course of action should I take? Take him to another neurosurgeon? Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

zip452
09-21-2012, 05:30 AM
Yes I think that you should get him a proper diagnosis. If he is normal some of the time perhaps what he is having is a type of seizure? There may be treatment options that could reduce these episodes if that were the case. Hopefully another doctor will actually be able to help! Good luck. Your brother is lucky to have family that cares and will look out for him :)

writeleft
09-21-2012, 05:41 AM
Hi there,

When you mention the first neurosurgeon, and his lack of brain activity on half of his brain...what was the outcome of the appointment? Did he want to see him again, or ask for any more tests? It sounds like someone dropped the ball here... Were you not happy with the first doctor, or did he recommend anything to you? Typically any doctor should leave you with follow up instructions, or another appointment or something.

If you did not like the doctor, I would search for another one. If your first doctor did not leave you with any instructions, or you have forgotten what that was, you can always call back to his office and ask what you should do. I feel a bit confused by this, and likely you are too.

With any brain injury, it is better sooner than later. Whether you feel comfortable with the first doctor or you need to search for another, either way, he should be on some planned medical diagnosis and treatment immediately.

I hope this helps and you can get your old brother back.