PDA

View Full Version : Rifaximin / Xifaxan effective dosage?

roadtrip202
09-24-2012, 06:01 AM
Hi guys,

Well I guess I'll just jump straight into it.

I had read a couple of reports that Rifaximin/xifaxan has been successfull with treating some people with IBS. So I spoke to my doctor about getting a prescpition and after a bit of persuassion she agreed to me giving it a go.

The thing is, in the UK where i live it is a fairly new drug and is only avalaible in tablets of 200mg. The usual prescription is 1 of these tablets 3 times a day for 3 days to treat travellers diarrhea. Bearing this in mind, my doctor was only prepared to write me a prescription for 27 of the 200mg tablets and she was still even reluctant to do this as it is effectively 3 x the normal prescription and I have heard that it is an expensive antibiotic.

So my question is, what do you think would be the best way of taking these pills to give me the best chance of having an effect on my IBS? Or is the quantity that I have got not really going to help either way? (Perhaps if i notice an improvement, even a temporary one, than i can go back to my doctors at a later date and explain they helped and then they might be more willing to write out a bigger prescription next time?)

Anyway, I think my options for the 27x 200mg are as follows;

1, 3 x a day for 9 days
2, 3 x a day for 4.5 days
some combination of the above, maybe 1, 3 x a day for 3 days and then 2, 3 x a day for 3 days

Any advice would be much appreciated. I've heard that a high dose is needed but also that you need to take them for a prolonged period of time; unfortunatey I don't have the luxury of being able to do both :(

Of course, I'd also love to hear about anybody's thoughts/experiences/tips regarding Rifaximin/Xifaxan in general :)

thanks

Twinkie50
09-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Hi guys,

Well I guess I'll just jump straight into it.

I had read a couple of reports that Rifaximin/xifaxan has been successfull with treating some people with IBS. So I spoke to my doctor about getting a prescpition and after a bit of persuassion she agreed to me giving it a go.

The thing is, in the UK where i live it is a fairly new drug and is only avalaible in tablets of 200mg. The usual prescription is 1 of these tablets 3 times a day for 3 days to treat travellers diarrhea. Bearing this in mind, my doctor was only prepared to write me a prescription for 27 of the 200mg tablets and she was still even reluctant to do this as it is effectively 3 x the normal prescription and I have heard that it is an expensive antibiotic.

So my question is, what do you think would be the best way of taking these pills to give me the best chance of having an effect on my IBS? Or is the quantity that I have got not really going to help either way? (Perhaps if i notice an improvement, even a temporary one, than i can go back to my doctors at a later date and explain they helped and then they might be more willing to write out a bigger prescription next time?)

Anyway, I think my options for the 27x 200mg are as follows;

1, 3 x a day for 9 days
2, 3 x a day for 4.5 days
some combination of the above, maybe 1, 3 x a day for 3 days and then 2, 3 x a day for 3 days

Any advice would be much appreciated. I've heard that a high dose is needed but also that you need to take them for a prolonged period of time; unfortunatey I don't have the luxury of being able to do both :(

Of course, I'd also love to hear about anybody's thoughts/experiences/tips regarding Rifaximin/Xifaxan in general :)

thanks
I was treated with xifaxan several times in the last year for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth and yes, I have IBS too. I was given 550mg twice daily for 14 days the first time. The second time, when symptoms returned, 550mg three times a day for 14 days; the third time I was given 550mg twice daily for 21 days. I also along this road went gluten free/mostly dairy free and very low sugar/carb intake. Feeling much better - did not want to do anymore antibiotic therapy. It would help while on it, but returned everytime ... although not as severe. MaryAnn

roadtrip202
09-24-2012, 03:46 PM
I was treated with xifaxan several times in the last year for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth and yes, I have IBS too. I was given 550mg twice daily for 14 days the first time. The second time, when symptoms returned, 550mg three times a day for 14 days; the third time I was given 550mg twice daily for 21 days. I also along this road went gluten free/mostly dairy free and very low sugar/carb intake. Feeling much better - did not want to do anymore antibiotic therapy. It would help while on it, but returned everytime ... although not as severe. MaryAnn

thanks for sharing your experience :) yes i've heard that it might not be a long term option, just wanted to see if it worked but am worried that the doses i jave been given might not be effective :(

Twinkie50
09-25-2012, 03:16 AM
thanks for sharing your experience :) yes i've heard that it might not be a long term option, just wanted to see if it worked but am worried that the doses i jave been given might not be effective :(

Have you tried changing your diet? I know making some changes and experimenting with eliminating foods can greatly reduce IBS symptoms as well as the bacterial overgrowth.

roadtrip202
09-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Have you tried changing your diet? I know making some changes and experimenting with eliminating foods can greatly reduce IBS symptoms as well as the bacterial overgrowth.

well i did try doing an elimnation diet 8 years ago but it didn't seem to have much effect :( Seems to be i get symtoms whatever i eat. i did ask my doctor for a sibo test, but she didn't seem interested, would rather just try me on the antibiotics. i'm not sure if the even do the sibo test on the NHS here in englamd