PDA

View Full Version : Herniated disc, nerve decompression surgery and hoping

pasko52
01-07-2013, 02:12 AM
It is some six months since I had severe pain in my left foot whilst sitting at my computer when at work, how my life has been turned inside out from that painful moment. I was very sporty playing football and squash and I could not understand why I had shooting pains down my left leg and into my foot. Of course I went straight to the Doctor and was told to rest, avoid sports, and take some anti inflamitory drugs and start physio, little did I know that I had a back herniated disc! After two months of permenant numbness of my left shin and cramping of my thigh on the front and some feeling like a dull ache in my back I was at my wits end. So I went to the Doctor and demanded an MRI scan to which she agreed, that very same day in fact just as I got home and explaining to my wife then the severe pain in my left leg restarted, over the next 24hours I was in agony and ended up in A&E who put me on Morphine and took an X ray, they said I most certainly had a herniated disc. Amazingly the Morphine treatment worked, I had my MRI scan which confirmed the cause between L4 and L5 and because of the permanent numbness and the fact that my left thigh muscle was shrinking compared to my right one I had not hesitation to agree to nerve decompression surgery. The operation went well and with a 3 inch stapled wound in my back I left hospital after 2 days, luckily I had my kind wife to help me through the first few weeks as these were very hard because of the depression feelings as all the symptons still remained, after 6 weeks today my left leg is still numb, I still have thigh cramps, even when I wipe my anus I get pains in my left shin. I have started physio and my Doctor has me on Lycria (75 mg in the morning and again at night) which might as well be a placebo, I am walking every day and of work for one more week. When will the symptons disappear? From the surgeon, Doctor, nurse to the physio they all say it will eventually go, for me the only comfort is the disappearance of the dull ache in my back! I want my life back but I must not complain as there are lots of worse health conditions such as cancer

Irishree
01-07-2013, 04:23 AM
Hi. i had nerve decompression surgery on c3,c4,c5,c6 in March. It took every single day of six months to not feel "that" pain. I still have constant pain but in all fairness, I have several other physical problems going on at the time. The discectomy did work for me for the most part. I'm not sure of your situation but they told me that he damage done was done and the pain I had may still be there but the surgery would stop any progression of spinal injury. Please respect the procedure and give it the time it needs to heal. Don't become frustrated, its hard, I know but the more time you give it the better you will feel in the long run. Take care! God Bless!

pasko52
01-07-2013, 06:19 AM
Many thanks for taking thé Time to reply to post. I hope that you are not in too much pain with your back. I will take your advice on board and try to let my body heal but it is a struggle to find belief!