PDA

View Full Version : Negative for Celiac, Gluten Sensitivity

scoot
02-01-2013, 10:51 AM
Hi all

I've had the IBS label for years, and had no relief until I stopped eating grains, so I figured I'd get tested for celiac and gluten sensitivity. Both came back negative. I really didn't expect to be positive for celiac, but for something to show up as at least sensitivity. The symptoms are quite clear when I go on grains and off grains. My body cannot handle grains. So why are the blood tests normal, I wonder. Would anyone here know? Perhaps it does not always show up in the bloodwork?

Thanks

laineyk
03-21-2013, 12:00 PM
you really need a stool sample & mouth swab to be accurate

Twinkie50
05-31-2013, 02:07 PM
Hi all

I've had the IBS label for years, and had no relief until I stopped eating grains, so I figured I'd get tested for celiac and gluten sensitivity. Both came back negative. I really didn't expect to be positive for celiac, but for something to show up as at least sensitivity. The symptoms are quite clear when I go on grains and off grains. My body cannot handle grains. So why are the blood tests normal, I wonder. Would anyone here know? Perhaps it does not always show up in the bloodwork?

Thanks

I have had IBS for over 30 years. I was diagnosed a year ago with small intestinal bacterial overgrowth and was treated 3 times with antibiotics. I was also given blood tests and an endoscopy for celiac disease with a biopsy (only way to diagnose it) and I was negative. However, I decided to try going gluten free anyway and it has made a HUGE difference in my life - my stomach problems and my general well-being is much better. You can have gluten intolerance without having celiac, so if being gluten free makes you feel better, keep doing it. And eliminate sugars a much as possible too - sugar is a big no-no to our health in general and for stomach ailments. MaryAnn

worrywort
06-08-2013, 08:59 AM
I have had IBS for over 30 years. I was diagnosed a year ago with small intestinal bacterial overgrowth and was treated 3 times with antibiotics. I was also given blood tests and an endoscopy for celiac disease with a biopsy (only way to diagnose it) and I was negative. However, I decided to try going gluten free anyway and it has made a HUGE difference in my life - my stomach problems and my general well-being is much better. You can have gluten intolerance without having celiac, so if being gluten free makes you feel better, keep doing it. And eliminate sugars a much as possible too - sugar is a big no-no to our health in general and for stomach ailments. MaryAnn

Can I ask how they tested you for the overgrowth? I really think that is a huge issue and lots of docs dont test for it. thank you.

Twinkie50
06-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Can I ask how they tested you for the overgrowth? I really think that is a huge issue and lots of docs dont test for it. thank you.

A Hydrogen Breath Test I believe its called.