PDA

View Full Version : My GI pretty much fired me today..

j-gal
02-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Well, my GI literally told me "I can't do anything for you" today.

Two weeks ago, he started me on Bentyl and it did nothing for my pain or diarrhea and I got a headache about an hour after I took it every single time. So he said there's nothing else he can do for me. He says he can't have me try anti-depressants or anything because since he's a GI he can't prescribe them. He believes that Lotronex (sp?) would possibly work for me and he has the permission to use it, but there's too many "hoops to jump through" so he refuses to prescribe it to his patients.

In a nutshell, he said it without actually saying it, that I'm overweight and crazy. I told him that I haven't had an experience with any medication that truly works for my pain/diarrhea and the only thing I've found that works is to not eat (which I DON'T do unless I'm feeling really sick, not on a normal day). He said, "Let me stop you right there, if I were a psychiatrist, I would say that's the beginning of anorexic tendencies and you're really not eating to lose weight". I LOVE food, which is why I am a little overweight. I don't not eat to lose weight, I only do it so I don't experience so much pain and diarrhea that I want to cry and scream and rip out my hair all at the same time.

He also said "because you're heavy" multiple times during my appointment. "You can't have celiac because you're heavy", "your diarrhea can't be that bad because you're heavy", "I wouldn't prescribe you anti-depressants anyway because you're heavy". I am about 30lbs overweight, so it's not like I'm morbidly obese and that's how he was making me feel.

He also asked me what year I was in school and when I told him I was a college senior he asked me what I planned on doing when I graduate and I said hopefully I will get a job soon after graduation. His only reply was "That'll be hard for you to keep." He was so rude.

He then made a referral for me to go to the University of Michigan GI dept - but he made sure to let me know he wasn't sure if they'll be able to do anything for me either.

I can't believe how rude this man is and how he thinks he can get off talking to his patients like this!

MountainReader
02-26-2013, 07:07 PM
Hi,

That really does sound frustrating. I've found through experience over the years that not all doctors are a good fit for us in our treatment journey. It sounds like you really do need another opinion. You could try the one at the U or do some research to find another that is your choice. Universities are often a good option.

Have you had testing to confirm an IBS diagnosis? Usually it is a diagnosis that comes after ruling out other causes. I know a couple years ago I was having d up to 20 times a day. I couldn't even make the drive to work in the am (18 minutes) because I was afraid I couldn't make it there.

While 30 lbs is overweight, several of my doctors have told me they aren't too concerned. They really just want to make sure I'm living a healthier lifestyle.

j-gal
02-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Yes - I have had many tests to rule out other conditions. This is what I have had: colonoscopy, small bowel xray, bloodwork (just came back with borderline anemia), negative for gluten allergy and/or intolerance, and I had an HBT done to test for lactose intolerance and that also came back negative.

It's just very frustrating to have a doctor treat me like this and then tell me there is nothing that can be done to help me.

MountainReader
02-27-2013, 08:01 PM
At this point, I'd run to another GI doc to see what other options might be out there to help.