PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone else have IBS and Gerd

SickinNJ
03-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Hi Guys

I have been put on 40 MLG of omeprazole a day for the last 4 months, 20 in the morning and 20 at night. I also take ranitidine hydrochloride as needed during the day. Normally 1 150 MLG pill a day.

This seems to control my acid reflux but I seem to get really bad gas - trapped gas in my back and chest after I eat. I have tries Beno, works sometimes but I tend to use Gasex max strength. This is everyday, does any one seem to have this issues also?

It tends to be M-F (I am not stressed at work, I love my job) - can it be my schedule of when I am eating?

suzyshop1
03-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Yes i have both,ibs since my teens,and gerd since my early 20s.Have u been diagnosed with ibs by a doctor,because ibs symptoms are usually more than just gas?

SickinNJ
03-07-2013, 07:57 AM
Oh yeah, I had three different Doctors over the last 18 months do endo and colonoscopies. The first doc diagnosed me with UC, put me on meds for 6 months. I didn't feel good so got a second and them third opinion and both came back clean. They both said I don't have UC, Crohns or celiac, among other things they ruled out.

The last doctor, who I use as my primary said he believes it is very extreme GERD and IBS. I cant eat anything fibrous like lettuce or Sweet Potatos, go right through me and give me so much Gas!

The pills I am on control the GERD, to a point I still have some from time to time but the GAS drives me nuts! What regiment do you follow? Do you have a specific diet that works for you?

SickinNJ
03-07-2013, 07:59 AM
Oh yeah, I had three different Doctors over the last 18 months do endo and colonoscopies. The first doc diagnosed me with UC, put me on meds for 6 months. I didn't feel good so got a second and them third opinion and both came back clean. They both said I don't have UC, Crohns or celiac, among other things they ruled out.

The last doctor, who I use as my primary said he believes it is very extreme GERD and IBS. I cant eat anything fibrous like lettuce or Sweet Potatos, go right through me and give me so much Gas!

The pills I am on control the GERD, to a point I still have some from time to time but the GAS drives me nuts! What regiment do you follow? Do you have a specific diet that works for you?

MountainReader
03-07-2013, 09:32 PM
I had GERD/LPR first. After one week on Nexium, I ended up with horrible IBS. I never had any problems with diarrhea or constipation prior to that. While I have fewer flares now, several years later, I had some horrible years for a while there.

With regards to your GERD, have you had any pH testing (24 hr. pH testo or BRAVO) or a manometry done yet? If not, I highly recommend asking about that so you can really get a sense of what is going on with your reflux.

You may also benefit from having a Barium Swallow done as well. You swallow various liquids and solids with Barium mixed in and they watch on video x-ray to see how it goes down and what happens when it hits your stomach. They will put you on a tilt table after it hits your stomach to see if anything comes back up.

I found all of those tests to be very helpful in my case.

I've had multiple endoscopies and colonoscopies with biopsies over the years and everything has come up normal. Those other tests have been where I've seen how severe my issues were.

Honestly, I cut tons of stuff out of my diet and still try to be careful with my diet, but I never found anything that worked great. Miralax seemed to help with the regulation some, but even it didn't do a lot with the diarrhea. My GI doc wants me getting at least 25 g. of fiber daily but that is really hard with all the foods I have to avoid.

I wish you well.
MR

kacyc
03-08-2013, 01:32 PM
This will be common because meds for Gerd cause IBS and antispasmodics for IBS cause heartburn!