PDA

View Full Version : Desperate, on every constipation medication possible

rachel244
03-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Hi,

My constipation is very severe. It has taken over my life. I have a full time job and am worried that I am going to end up going sick again which I dont want. Im on Procalopride (Resolur), Biscadoyl, Dulcolax, Senna, Movicol,Peppermint capsules, Mebeverine, Metaclopromide (for the relentless nausea) I also have Picolax once a week and drink bottles of castor oil.The castor oil was the only thing that works but I cant drink it anymore because I am sick straight away. None of the other medications really do anything. I have enemas too. My stomach is constantly swollen, I have no energy my consultant says the severity of my condition is off the scale, I just dont know what to do, I feel awful. I am wondering about what foods may help or health products or dietry supplements, I am also wondering if there are any other medications that other. people have found successful that I am not taking already? I am thinking of going on a liquid diet again. i am so depressed with it all. I dont know why I am even on this medication when none of it works my stomach is still always in uncoordinated spasms and I am constantly in agony I wish they would just operate on me I am so unhappy. Please do you have any suggestions, I am so desperate for help I do not know where to turn.

kacyc
03-12-2013, 01:57 PM
hi Rachel, sorry you are suffering so much, it sounds like your poor stomach needs some tlc.

Are you drinking enough water?

Are you getting enough physical exercise - you need to move to keep things moving. Walking is ok.

Have you tried abdominal massage? you can do it yourself, going round the abdomen in clockwise direction, on a daily basis.

Also, I discovered that DGL licorice, which I take to help something else, helped me go to the loo regularly as a positive side effect.

The more meds you take the more symtoms you will accumulate. Hopefully some natural ways to get things moving will be kinder to your insides.

flipfleury
03-12-2013, 04:20 PM
hi Rachel, sorry you are suffering so much, it sounds like your poor stomach needs some tlc.

Are you drinking enough water?

Are you getting enough physical exercise - you need to move to keep things moving. Walking is ok.

Have you tried abdominal massage? you can do it yourself, going round the abdomen in clockwise direction, on a daily basis.

Also, I discovered that DGL licorice, which I take to help something else, helped me go to the loo regularly as a positive side effect.

The more meds you take the more symtoms you will accumulate. Hopefully some natural ways to get things moving will be kinder to your insides.

I have had chronic constipation problems all of my life since very early childhood. I also have IBS. TWo years ago I finally got fed up with being constipated all the time and being in pain just tryiing to go. I decided to google natural ways to treat constipation problems. I came up with an article on Bowel Retraining for constipation. I started following the plan the next day. Within in a week I was on a daily schedule of having a bowel movement every morning before I leave for work.
This is what you do:
1. Eat a breakfast with a lot of fat in it and drink a beverage with caffeine in it In 30 minutes after you finish eating breakfast go sit on the toilet for 30 minutes. Insert a glycerin suppository. Read a book or listen to relaxing music. Slow deep breathing helps to relax all your muscles including the rectal and anal sphincter muscles making it easier to pass stool. Do this everyday at the same time for at least two weeks.
2. Drink at least 64 oz. of water everyday.
3. Slowly increase your daily fiber intake to 25-35 grams a day.
4. Take Benefiber,Citrucel,or Metamucil three times a day. Drink 1 8 oz. glass of water before you take the fiber supplement and 1 8 oz. glass of water after taking it.The extra glass of water will help to move the fiber suppleme to move a little faster through the digestive tract.
5. Eating a bowl of oatmeal with ground flax seed and cinnamon and 6 either stewed apricots or prunes for breakfast help to promote regularity. !-2 fresh fruits or vegetables at lunch and 1-2 fresh fruit or vegetables at dinner.
6. Take your last dose of fiber supplement at bedtime.
7. Be patient and consistent with the program because it can take two weeks for your body get use to the schedule.
I can tell you from personal experience with this bowel retraining program that it does work. I move my bowels everyday in the morning before I leave for work and sometimes will have one more later in the day 12-16 hours after my morning movement. When i get lazy and don't follow my daily routine for more than 2 days in a row then by the 3rd day I have a real hard time moving my bowels without a lot of pain. Listening to music and doing slow deep breathing exercises make it a lot easier to move my bowels without pain.
I sure hope you will give this bowel retraining program a try.

Pumkiney
04-17-2013, 02:34 AM
Hi Rachel,
I sympathize with you, I tried natural products, liquid diets, all types of medications.
Finally a doctor found a med that worked for my IBS and it has been my lifesaver. I went through years of pure torture. Its called Amitza I take 24 mcg twice daily and you have to get a prescription for it. Best wishes!

kittywilde
04-17-2013, 06:57 PM
Hi! I'm sorry you are having such a rough time. I am new to the board and just had a dr's appt yesterday in which constipation came up since I am having some right flank pain that won't go away.
I used to have really bad problems with constipation thru the years. I have used Metamucil successfully but it takes some time to work for me. Now I use Magnesium Citrate and it has worked great for me. I found out about this from research on the internet. You have to get the Citrate kind, not the plain magnesium that you can find in most drugstores. I ordered mine online. I usually only take one tablet and it helps. If I seem to be having a bad time with it, I will take one every day for a bit.
I hope you find something to help! It's really not funny when you are in that situation.

bluffie
04-22-2013, 11:29 AM
As your doctor to give you some samples of Linzess (it's expensive) to try. It worked for me.

alemana
04-23-2013, 11:29 AM
I find that lentils on a regular basis are a VERY helpful natural way to remain regular.
Also Chia seeds are helpful and extremely good for you too. Chia seeds are like salt the really don"t taste like anything but help the flavor of foods to be enhanced.
I mix them in salad dressing, spaghetti sauce, yogurt, everything. Google it it will give suggestions. Also maybe you should try a "raw" diet for a while. That would help to reset things in your body and everything stabilized.

j-gal
06-12-2013, 08:06 AM
I was at the point where no OTC meds or diet changes were helping me either and I would go anywhere from 5 up to 10 or 11 days with no bowel movement. My doctor prescribed me Amitiza and that was a miserable experience - pain, gas, bloating but no bowel movement. Then, I was put on Linzess and it had worked very well for me and I'm having a fairly normal bowel movement about every other day. I would ask your doc about it if you can!