PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosed with IBS. Not sure I believe it

smcmullin
04-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Hello,

Thank you for reading - i'll try to give you as much info as I know. I've been fighting a dull pain on my right side for years. My bowel movements are consistent and regular (once a day at least, no urgency or diarrhea). I was recently diagnosed with IBS because physicians couldn't see anything on my CT Scan or colonoscopy. I have had periods where I have felt great but can't seem to stay that way. I tested negative for celiac disease and eat healthy and workout a lot. I'm a 29 year old male. I drink socially and do not smoke or drink soda.

The reason I don't quite believe the diagnosis is because my pain doesn't generally ease after a bowel movement. My liver enzymes seemed fine and they did not see any galstones but maybe sandy in my gallbladder but they did not think my gallbladder was the cause. I have taken peppermint pills, acadia fiber and a bunch of other things to help but have not found relief. It seems like every other day I'm buying something different to try.

Nothing I eat seems to trigger any spike in pain like a person with galbladder disease or even IBS for that matter. It's not a cramping feeling - it's just a dull consistent pain. It tells me something must be inflamed somewhere. I eat a ton of fruit and vegetables and not a lot of bread/gluten.

I'm open to suggestions and fielding questions. At this point, I'm just looking to feel great again. Life is too short.

Thanks again for helping out.

sasrei7
04-22-2013, 12:09 AM
Hmmm.. a dull constant aching pain on the right side. Well unfortunately IBS is pretty much labeled to anyone with any type of stomach/pelvic pain and who they can't find anything wrong with when they do their tests. So it pretty varies between a lot of symptoms and can be linked with other don't want to call them diseases but not fun stuff (Gerd, tmj, fibromyalgia etc). You don't seem to have any trigger foods? So it doesn't happen right after you eat or a little bit after. Do you have an acid buildup? I know with my gerd if I have too much acidic stuff (like fruits/juice) I can get stomach pain. Also trapped gas can cause an annoying amount of pain.

Suziq567
07-18-2013, 04:33 AM
I feel for you.... I am in the same situation, they have no idea of the problem. I didn't accept ibs and recently even had an MRI scan. All tests show nothing. Maybe push your gp a bit more for more tests or ask for a second opinion ?

emily131
07-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Your post sounds a lot like me. Have had all the tests. negative for gallbladder, hida scan, celiac, scan of abdomen, endoscopy and colonoscopy. All negative, and I continue with a dull ache on my right side, sometimes going up to my right shoulder, other times not so much. I have had this pain for over 25 yrs. Sometimes it disappears for a long time, only to appear again. I've been dx with ibs and gerd. Wish I had some advice, only wanted to tell you I feel your pain. I haven't been tested for slow mobility, and I think that the only thing I can think of. Good luck, and hope you find some answers.