PDA

View Full Version : IBS Torture

Bridgett1965
04-08-2013, 09:22 AM
Not sure if I want help and suggestions or need to vent! I have been battling this for 23 years!! I am getting to my whits ends. I am not able to go anywhere without having to have a bathroom! This is so embarrassing. I can feel perfectly fine and leave my house and WHAM! Cramps, gas, gurgling belly and then need a bathroom...yesterday!! I constantly get a "flush" feeling that goes over me, and I panic which makes it worse. I have never had an "accident" thank God, I think I would die. But life is such a chore for me every day.

Dr.'s have had me on so many different medications but none have ever helped me. Caused other issues or no change at all. Bentil I have taken for years. The dr. prescribed it 3x's a day but then I couldn't "go". Went down to 2x's a day and still had difficulty. So it ended up being one a day almost as a maintenance. I would still have issues. I am not sure what normal is any more. I watch people every day doing things that I would love to be doing. Going places I would love to be going. And I know I could but it's a constant struggle with my tummy. I feel like a downer in the crowd. Always saying where's the bathroom? Hurry pull over I need a restroom. I don't feel like going. You go do it I will stay home. I just feel my life is ticking away without me! Without getting to do what I want to do.

I would just love it if there was some magic pill or something out there that would make this go away for all of us. I realize I am not alone. I really didn't know this was such a big problem for so many people. Just wish there was something I could do. Had the upper/lower gi series done, colonoscopy's, ct scans blood work everything comes back normal. I should be happy about that. Instead I'm miserable!

Thank you for listening! And good luck to all of you!

Whimpurr
04-09-2013, 08:20 AM
I am feeling the same as you. :(

seabell
04-15-2013, 08:07 AM
(((Bridgett1965))) Your post brought tears to my eyes because you are describing what my life used to like. I too suffered from IBS for a long time. I had every test imaginable, tried every medication my doctor could think of. I was homebound except for a few local stores. I knew where every bathroom was. I even carried a porta potty in my trunk just in case. I cried as I waved goodbye to my family as they left to enjoy a day out. I missed weddings, graduations, bbqs, etc.

There is a thread called IBS 20yr Misery (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/irritable-bowel-syndrome-ibs/902879-ibs-20yr-misery.html) that I responded to stating what I did that lessened my IBS and gave me back my life. It's long..but so worth reading.

In a nutshell, there is no magic pill that will cure IBS. Anyone who suffers from it will have to, by trial and error, figure out what is causing their symptoms, and the best way to help themselves. This includes keeping a food diary and figuring out your trigger foods. Its tedious, and will probably not make a lot of sense right away, but after a few months, you will start to see a pattern. I could not eat raw veggies or fruit. Spicy foods. Greasy foods. Pork. Twizzlers. Processed meats. I stopped drinking carbonated beverages, started drinking lots of water. No artificial sweeteners.

Today, I can eat almost anything I want to w/o problems (but never twice in a row). I start each meal with a piece of bread or some sort of carb (something my stomach can 'chew' on), never salad. I've been going out to eat (gained 10 lbs LOL), going to plays and movies and walks in the park, long car trips. I have a life again. And everyday I do a little happy dance.

Please take the time to read the first few posts on that thread. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you will find something that helps you.

SB

Bridgett1965
04-15-2013, 08:39 AM
Thank you Seabell! I will definitely read your post! I really appreciate the time you took to respond to my post! And congratulations to you!! How wonderful to be living your life again! I, too, will live mine! I am going to keep the faith...keep trying...and keep believing!! Thank you again!