PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Nissen Fundoplication Surgery

roz5
04-20-2013, 04:06 AM
Hello all. I am scheduled to have the reflux surgery in 2 weeks. I have had reflux for 9 years and tried every medication possible. My father died this past year from esophageal cancer, and so I am moving forward with the surgery (laproscopic). I have 2 questions for anyone who can chime in..... first, how long were you off from work? I asked my surgeon and he said I can go back when I "feel up to it". I should've asked him to be more specific, but my mind goes blank during doctor visits! So I was wondering what the average time off for this surgery is. I am having it on a Friday and anticipate going back to work on the Wednesday after. He did say that I would be in the hospital for 48 hours. The second question I have is, what types of foods should I be prepared to eat immediately after the surgery (2 days or so)? My surgeon said I would start with liquid diet in the hospital.... I presume that I will then move on to soft foods?

Thank you all so much for answering my questions.

JanaJ
04-20-2013, 12:28 PM
I had three weeks off work, I needed that long. I had soups and shakes then moved quite quickly onto mashed potato with lots of gravy, yoghurts, jellies, custards but got back onto ordinary food quite quickly. Strangely I had more trouble swallowing liquids after the surgery. Good luck.