PDA

View Full Version : IBS or something more sinister?

Dis1
05-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Hi everyone! I have a weird problem going on I would like some feed back on. I was diagnosed with IBS years ago. I had stomach cramping, diahreaa, etc. it went away for several years and eventually turned into constipation which has pretty much been under control til recently. Last week I stared having alot of mucus, slight bleeding and cramping. Sometimes I would feel like I needed to have a bowel movement and only mucus would come out tinged with blood. I am perfectly healthy otherwise( well healthy for 63). I have had 2colonoscopies one as recent as 10 months ago. They were perfectly normal. The only thing I am doing different is taking allergy meds. Oh, the symptoms subsided for about 3days but returned. My question is where do I go from here, contact my GI, wait and see? I hate to run to the doctor but this has me concerned. Oh, the other really weird thing is my daughter(32) developed the same thing but hers seems to have resolved. Any advice?

Kathy1813
05-07-2013, 10:59 AM
I can't help you too much, but will tell you what has happened to me. I, too, was diagnosed with IBS a number of years ago. The doctor told me to eat more fiber and fruit which I did and it seemed to clear up. Now all of a sudden it has come back and I have mucus too. My doctor said that the mucus is very common with IBS. I have had some cramping but no bloody stools. The thing is that I feel like I have to have a BM but all that comes out is the mucus. Some days are worse then others. I have started eating more fiber again. Some days I am afraid to go anyplace. I don't want to have all this stuff come out when I am away from home.

Do let me know if you find anything else you can do for this.

solofelix
05-07-2013, 11:19 AM
I would advise you to see your Dr.
I have IBS and can suffer D or C along with all the other thing's that go with IBS.
Any bleeding from the back passage be it prolonged or intermittent should be investigated particularly as we age.
It may just be a Hemorohoid but let your Dr decide.

Solofelix.

com77
05-30-2013, 08:52 AM
If your colonoscopy was clear, I would proceed to the next step and ask for a capsule endoscopy and a small bowel follow-through, both of which will look at the small intestine.

com77
05-30-2013, 08:54 AM
Since your colonoscopy was clear, I would suggest the next step: doing a capsule endoscopy and small bowel follow-through, both of which will examine the small intestine.

daffodil47
06-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Hi. I had a gastroscopy and colonoscopy done in January of 2012 which came up clear. My symptoms were pretty scary as I started getting diarrhea in June of 2012 and my bowel movements were never the same. Mucus was common for me as was multi colored stools. It was also common for me to get entirely watery bowel movements. Some days I could be constantly on the toilet. I had multiple blood tests done on top of my internal tests and everything came back normal. It is certainly wise to get testing done, but I would not panic. IBS is very common. I had a complete blood count done as well as tests for inflammation, etc. It is difficult sometimes to deal with on a day to day basis, but if I am going on a long trip on public transport, I will take immodium. Otherwise, I am mindful of where the public toilets are. Some other good suggestions for dealing with IBS are to carry plastic bags and wet wipes with you in case you need to urgently use your bowels and there is no toilet nearby. I have never had to use this option, but it gives you piece of mind in case the worst happens. My husband and I go out four wheel driving and if I ever got caught short in a bush setting, this might be the answer.