PDA

View Full Version : IBS or Lactose Intolerance? HOW DO YOU KNOW!!

emt0820
05-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Hi,
I've always had my bouts of IBS. I usually would end up going to hospital and getting a GI cocktail and a shot of bentyl and it would wear itself out. Its been years since i've had to go to the hospital. I usually eat a pack of Gax-X and take bentyl myself and it goes away. I recently started having BAD stomachache. You know the ones we had as a kid who ate to many apples or candy. Rip roaring stomachaches. I went to my GI dr. who decided to do a Lactose Intolerant which came back I was highly lactose intorent. Strange thing is, I can eat ice cream and dairy products sometimes and it never bothers me and sometimes it does. I have constipation bad so he told me to drink miralax everynite which has helped my bowels. I was wondering about taking Metamucil Clear & Natural so I could add fiber as well. Does this type of Metamucil help anyone? I keep telling my dr. I think its my gallbladder but of course all my test for gallbladder come back negative. I even take the lactaid before I eat any dairy and it doesn't help. And I use Lactaid milk as well. Although I'm not really a big Milk drinker. Does anyone have Lactose Intorance that can wake them out of a dead sleep with such gas and pain that its unbearable and can IBS do the same thing. I've gone the route with IBS but I NEVER had this bad of stomachaches. I just had a colonoscopy and endoscopy and both were fine. I'm willing to have my gallbladder out in hopes that its the problem. I just don't understand!!!! Any feedback is appreciated!!

com77
05-30-2013, 08:48 AM
The colonosocpy and endoscopy only looks at less than half of your digestive tract. There's 15 feet of stuff in between that they don't look at: the small intestine. There are exams for that as well, one of which is the capsule endoscopy. You might consider those.

rederyn
05-31-2013, 10:15 AM
I have lactose intolerance as well, but not as bad as you. (I was never tested, I just learned from experience). I agree though, that sometimes the dairy would affect me, and sometimes it wouldn't. Whether or not I took lactaid.
Now I'm thinking that I'm intolerant to all dairy, so I have cut it out of my diet completely. It has solved many of my problems (I have also removed gluten from my diet). But there are other food intolerances, I'm sure, so it's a slow journey trying to figure them all out.
My suggestion to you is try to elimintaing it altogether and see if it helps.. Go ahead and try the fiber as well, just not the same time that you stop the dairy, or you won't know what helped...
Good luck..

Here2chat
05-31-2013, 10:31 AM
Hi,
I've always had my bouts of IBS. I usually would end up going to hospital and getting a GI cocktail and a shot of bentyl and it would wear itself out. Its been years since i've had to go to the hospital. I usually eat a pack of Gax-X and take bentyl myself and it goes away. I recently started having BAD stomachache. You know the ones we had as a kid who ate to many apples or candy. Rip roaring stomachaches. I went to my GI dr. who decided to do a Lactose Intolerant which came back I was highly lactose intorent. Strange thing is, I can eat ice cream and dairy products sometimes and it never bothers me and sometimes it does. I have constipation bad so he told me to drink miralax everynite which has helped my bowels. I was wondering about taking Metamucil Clear & Natural so I could add fiber as well. Does this type of Metamucil help anyone? I keep telling my dr. I think its my gallbladder but of course all my test for gallbladder come back negative. I even take the lactaid before I eat any dairy and it doesn't help. And I use Lactaid milk as well. Although I'm not really a big Milk drinker. Does anyone have Lactose Intorance that can wake them out of a dead sleep with such gas and pain that its unbearable and can IBS do the same thing. I've gone the route with IBS but I NEVER had this bad of stomachaches. I just had a colonoscopy and endoscopy and both were fine. I'm willing to have my gallbladder out in hopes that its the problem. I just don't understand!!!! Any feedback is appreciated!!

Hello emt0820 -

don't have your gallbladder removed. That's the guardian of your intestines and your intestines are half of your immune system. Instead, I would recommend you visit a naturapathic doctor (or ND) in your area. This type of doctor looks for the origin of the problem, whereas, conventional medicine only looks at symptoms. It could be that your body is more acidic than alkaline. When your pH balance is off it can cause a domino effect of issues in the body. It can possibly slow down the intestines to where certain things get stuck. You may also consider doing colon irrigation. That may also help you.

Twinkie50
05-31-2013, 02:10 PM
Hi,

Maybe do some research on small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. Many IBSers have this along with the IBS. Then find a GI doc who can send you for a breath test and see if you test positive.