PDA

View Full Version : Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Disability Insurance Benefits Claim

joeldog25
05-29-2013, 11:33 AM
Has anyone been successful in proving a disability case claiming IBS as their main reason they can't work?

Any feedback on this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bridgett1965
06-03-2013, 09:17 AM
Hi Joeldog. I have IBS-D. I worry so much about it that it brought on Panic and Anxiety disorders. I even wound up with Agoraphobia. I couldn't walk out my front door!! I also have a curvature in my spine and degenerative disk and have had 4 back surgeries and will need to have pins and rods or fusions done at some point. I tried for disability with all the above and they denied me. Wouldn't even discuss it with me. As long as I was walking my back wasn't that bad. And more or less everywhere I went there was a bathroom so I could work! I was so upset! Wanted the people that denied me to live a week in my shoes!!

Over the years, and so many dr.'s and medications and herbs and so forth...I am dealing with the IBS. I have to have an income and I have to feel like somebody. I am using Heather's tummy fiber (acasia fiber) and I have recently found ginger and slippery elm (pill form) that I am taking and I am having alot of positive results.

Good luck to you. I wish you the best.

changednow
06-12-2013, 08:58 PM
Bridgett:

I read your post about being denied for disability. I am somewhat surprised since we have "some" things in common.

I too have severe spine problems that have been going on 25 years. I have been thru tons of back surgeries which includes Harrington Rods. Which includes rod; pins etc in both my cervical/thoracic and then my lumbar region. But on top of that I do have a pain pump that was just implanted in my spine to help deal with the pain.

I do have other issues which may be reason I was approved for SSDI. I have diabetes; kidney disease and went thru pancreatic sugery 6 years ago. I have been on SSDI for 10 years and it wasn't until recently after the pancreatic surgery that I was diagnosed with IBS.

Not sure which of my conditions qualified me for SSDI. The spine is a big part of my issues that is really causing problems with my working as far as getting around; sitting for long periods of time' standing etc.