PDA

View Full Version : Odd kind of heartburn

loldj
05-31-2013, 05:56 PM
Hi,

I've never posted on a forum about my heartburn problems before, but I'm about to go to grad school, so I need to figure out what's wrong with me before I get nonstop heartburn amid all the stress!

I've been suffering from heartburn for over 10 years and been comparing my symptoms with friends and family who suffer from heartburn. What's odd is that my heartburn has always been isolated to the upper stomach/lower esophagus region. I've never had the feeling of acid coming up my esophagus or into the throat, like some of my friends.

I get heartburn only occasionally, once every 1-3 months, and it's usually caused by eating too much in one meal (generally breakfast). Tums, Zantac, Pepto Bismol, Pepcid... none of that works. Even Prilosec, which seemed to work before (after 24 hours), no longer does anything. In fact, I think it might be making it worse. The last time I had heartburn and took Prilosec, the heartburn persisted for 3 days.

Primary care doctors have diagnosed me with GERD and have just been pushing PPIs at me all these years. Since I only get heartburn so infrequently, I don't want to be taking PPIs every day, especially reading that there might be long-term effects.

Some people have mentioned that I might have low stomach acid (I do belch quite often after meals, and also have "hunger burps" before meals at times), but when I brought it up with a new gastroenterologist that I've been seeing, he was totally dismissive of it.

Today, I got an endoscopy and it showed that I don't have ulcers and my stomach/esophageal lining is fine. He's also doing a biopsy and test for H. Pylori, and I'll hear about that next week. But after the procedure, I stupidly had an egg breakfast sandwich this morning afterwards, and I've been having bad heartburn since. My doctor told me to try Dexilant, which he claims is the most potent PPI on the market, and says it's supposed to work in a few hours. So far, nothing has changed.

I'm just curious to hear if anyone is in the same boat (in terms of symptoms and frequency of heartburn) and what you've tried.

Thanks in advance!

solofelix
06-01-2013, 08:02 AM
Hi, Can you describe your heartburn symptom Because I get the exact same as you.
I never get acid burning coming up my esophagus and into my throat whereas my husband does.
Rather than burning I would describe my sensation as a feeling that my food will not go down after the same area as you mentioned. Also I belch and suffer indigestion type pain.
I have got a hiatal-hernia which does cause a lot of my reflux and for that I take GAVISCON as and when I need it. PPIs did not help.
Aloe Vera Digestive Juice did help also DOMPERIDONE,

Solofelix.

ballerina901
06-02-2013, 04:59 PM
When you get tired of taking ppi's and having zero success, you might want to try Betaine HCL. You must be off of the ppi's first.

Do some reading to find out how many to take. They made a HUGE difference with my reflux.
It is cheap and easy.

ballerina901
06-02-2013, 05:00 PM
When you get tired of taking ppi's and having zero success, you might want to try Betaine HCL. You must be off of the ppi's first.

Do some reading to find out how many to take. They made a HUGE difference with my reflux.
It is cheap and easy.