PDA

View Full Version : Need ibs help asap

axela
06-04-2013, 08:06 PM
I think I have IBS.
(Mom, brother, and uncle have it)

For about 2 years now I've been lactose intolerant but could eat pretty much everything else.

Now I can hardly eat anything without getting an attack and SEVERE pelvic pains /gas. I've limited myself to barely nothing, as I don't really even know what to eat. I feel my mental health slowly deteriorating (probably a bad word to use) but I'm just not healthy. I have no energy. I'm so so so hungry, but just so scared to eat because I know what will happen.

It all started one day after I ate REALLY spicy wings with bleu cheese..
the next morning I felt like I was dying on the toilet.. I was nauseous, having diarrhea and crying like crazy. Then the next week it happened again..

After that it was followed by weeks of constipation (but mucous). This was in the beginning of my problems... the constipation.. now it's just diarrhea.

I went to the doctor for the constipation and she told me to take Magnesium Citrate.

Counting the constipation days, this has been going on for about 3 months now. Today at the mall I went to try some clothes on and suddenly had sharp pains and almost had a bowel movement right there. Had to run to the bathroom. Literally. I'm really starting to get depressed about this.

My upper stomach hurts constantly all day but I try to ignore it. I've read suggestions online like drink water, avoid dairy, etc but I could really use some advice. I contacted a gastroenterologist but my appointment is a month away.

I'm going to a music festival soon and I'm really scared. We're camping out and I'm scared it's going to hit me at the wrong time. I'm also in a band and fearful it will hit me on stage.

What are some food suggestions for overall living that are safe for IBS-D? What about OTC medicines?? Supplements?

Can anyone add what they think worked for them? It would be greatly appreciated. I'm really new to this.

Thanks so much!

Leah1976
06-05-2013, 07:49 AM
Hi there,

I know how frustrated your are feeling! hang in there. Well before seeing the doctor and getting the IBS diagnoses you may try a few things:

- Take Imodium or pepto before your music festival
- Eat a bland diet this month full of SOLUBLE fiber.... you may have bread, bananas, rice, plantains, crackers, grilled chicken, plain pasta (hopefully you are not celiac - intolerance to gluten).
- Avoid raw vegetables, beans, gas producing foods like broccoli, cabbage, etc
- Avoid coffee and caffeine in general & alcohol
- Drink lots of peppermint, fennel, and chamomile tea - when I have an attack I drink these teas all day long!

- Take calcium supplement, this helps with the diarrhea. I take equalactin
- Take a probiotic - my gastro just recommended Align
- I also take Peppermint Capsules
- And I also take Solgar-Digestive-Aid-250-tabs
- Beano also helps with gas before it stars, it helps digest the beans, brocolli, etc so you don't get gas.
- Gax-Ex helps a little with gas as well (after the fact)

Good luck and please keep us posted! Let us know how you are feeling and what the gastro says in one month!

axela
06-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Hi there,

I know how frustrated your are feeling! hang in there. Well before seeing the doctor and getting the IBS diagnoses you may try a few things:

- Take Imodium or pepto before your music festival
- Eat a bland diet this month full of SOLUBLE fiber.... you may have bread, bananas, rice, plantains, crackers, grilled chicken, plain pasta (hopefully you are not celiac - intolerance to gluten).
- Avoid raw vegetables, beans, gas producing foods like broccoli, cabbage, etc
- Avoid coffee and caffeine in general & alcohol
- Drink lots of peppermint, fennel, and chamomile tea - when I have an attack I drink these teas all day long!

- Take calcium supplement, this helps with the diarrhea. I take equalactin
- Take a probiotic - my gastro just recommended Align
- I also take Peppermint Capsules
- And I also take Solgar-Digestive-Aid-250-tabs
- Beano also helps with gas before it stars, it helps digest the beans, brocolli, etc so you don't get gas.
- Gax-Ex helps a little with gas as well (after the fact)

Good luck and please keep us posted! Let us know how you are feeling and what the gastro says in one month!

I want to thank you for writing all of this HUGE HELP. Can't wait to try this advice out. Hopefully I start feeling better!