PDA

View Full Version : IBS suffer for 20 years. Maybe solved june 8th

ibssolved
06-08-2013, 06:55 AM
I have had digestion problems for 20 years. I was told I had IBS, I was told I cant digest milk, Later on in life I was with Colon cancer, had a resection and still I had issue with digestion. Most recently I was diagnosed with ulcers and H-pyloic. Had regular appointments with my colon surgent and he always said more fiber and basically ignored my plea for help. Fiber did absolutely nothing for me. Probiotics did nothing, change in my eating habits nothing. Nothing worked!!!

My primary doctor had asked me if I had a gastrologist. At this point I had not seen a gastrologist for years. I figured the colon surgent knew my problems why bother. Well the colon doctors office has been so bad for years I decided to go to a gastro dr.

I found one that had reasonable reviews and went on Monday. As usual I gave him all my records in advance and he appeared not to have read them prior. But the amazing thing is as I told him about my problem he figured out my problem that has been going on for two decades.

This next section should not deter you from my solution. I may not have special circumstances.

He told me since I am missing half my colon, I no longer have a valve and the food expels quickly. That my livers bile system cant react fast enough. He prescribed me Welchol a bile sequestriant. I read up on the drug before taking it. It basically forces our liver to make more bile and this also has the added advantage of helping control your cholesterol and blood sugar.

I took my first dose that day and no longer had the urge to go immediately. I had been going 6-8 times a day prior. It has been 5 days and I go once or twice a day now and the stools are looking better. It is amazing, I can not believe It took so long to get this? All these years of pain and discomfort and surgery.

I would suggest if you have problems like I have get a colonosopy, and an edoscopy to make sure it is not something fatal. If you have problems that cant seem to get solved try Welchol.

Also although my colon is half the size it used to be I believe this medication would have helped me prior to that procedure. I want to help those that have this problem and let people know what I did.

com77
06-11-2013, 08:44 AM
Out of curiosity, how did the colon cancer come about (symptoms that led you to the doctor and eventual diagnosis) and how old were you when that happened?

ladybud
06-11-2013, 08:54 AM
Thanks for your post! It helps so much to hear about solutions that have worked for people. I am sorry you suffered so long, but am glad to know you found some relief finally. This will be a turning point in your life! I have a son-in-law who may benefit from Welchol, and I'll pass this on to him.

ibssolved
06-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Thanks, I usually don't post or let people know about this. But I want to help others.

I had Supposed IBS since like 1999. I started have issues after pneumonia. I had a test done and they found I had a allergy to milk. So I cut that out, lacose pills did nothing. Had some tests and all they would come back was IBS, constipation, diarrhea. Fiber Didnt help, change in diet didn't help. Lived like this for years. In 2007 it seemed to get worse, so I went to a gastro doctor who did a colonoscopy, he said I had a polyp but it was benign. I went to a colon surgent about a week later and had another colonoscopy. for a second opinion. He found, that it was not benign it was also in a colon fold hard to find. I had a resection, and biopsy found it was stage 3 colon cancer. Had chemo for 7 months a special new type of chemo at the time. I was 43 when this happened. I am 49 now and so far no cancer. Next colonoscopy in october, I will have them every year regardless of the schedule. Also they do suck.

Been having issues as usual afterwards. this seems to be the first time I have it under control with Welchol. I have also stopped flutose drinks period starting this week. You probably cant really get rid of high floctose corn syrup altogether, but I am going to try to cut it back a lot.

I did have a few symptoms prior to my colonoscopy. They may not be related.

Six months prior to the diagnose for resection. I lost 30 lbs and got to my optional weight, through diet. I stopped most carbs, and all drinks but water. I brought my calorie intact down dramatically.

Other issues I had prior. I was sweating a lot outside for no reason, lack of energy. After the surgery I was told I had hyper tension blood pressure. That would be logical since I think that caused me to sweat so much, I guess but I have had my blood pressure checked in the past and it was fine. I also has high insulin, even though my glucose was fine. I actually made a journal of all the symptoms. I will have to look for it when I get home.

By the way if you need to get a resection, don't let them cut back on the morphine drip. Some nurse thought she was doing me a favor and cut it early. I felt like I was going to die from pain. Good thing wife was in the room and heard me scream pain.

com77
06-12-2013, 09:54 AM
Hi ibssolved,

Thanks for taking time to write out your history. I appreciate it, but I'm confused on a couple things. If you had a colonoscopy one week, why would you return a week later for another one? Why would you feel like you needed a second opinion?

Also, losing 30lbs of weight could not have been a symptom of your cancer. You lost it through deliberate diet and exercise.

The sweating is interesting, though. The cousin of one of my friends passed away this year from some sort of cancer in the digestive system, and my friend said one of the things he had been experiencing before going to the doctor was fevers and sweating.

ibssolved
06-12-2013, 01:49 PM
I checked my journal and it was for after surgery I started taking notes. But I did have fever and sweating before surgery, it came on quickly after the first colonoscopy. I think from what I recall the doctor I first saw was going to do the procedure over a month later, on his schedule. He could not remove it the normal way as the polyp was flat and in a fold.

My mom told me that her Gi doctor recommended that I see a colon surgent he knew of a good one here. So I went to him, he wanted to do the colonoscopy over again, maybe because I started having those sweating and fever symptoms, also I had lost 30 pounds over 6 months, they all thought it was the cancer, no matter how much I told them it was a drastic change in diet. I swear I had the second colonoscopy a week later, and the surgery within a week as well. When you think of the timing I was really lucky.

com77
06-12-2013, 02:21 PM
I checked my journal and it was for after surgery I started taking notes. But I did have fever and sweating before surgery, it came on quickly after the first colonoscopy.

Ah. That actually could have been a post-colonoscopy infection.

I think from what I recall the doctor I first saw was going to do the procedure over a month later, on his schedule. He could not remove it the normal way as the polyp was flat and in a fold.

Okay that makes more sense. He saw the polyp, but was unable to remove it, so you decided to see a different doctor to get it removed right away.

also I had lost 30 pounds over 6 months, they all thought it was the cancer, no matter how much I told them it was a drastic change in diet.

In science, that's called "confounding" variables which means there's too many different things that could have caused it. It could have been one, or the other. You'll never know.

I swear I had the second colonoscopy a week later, and the surgery within a week as well. When you think of the timing I was really lucky.

I suppose it depends on how quickly the cancer was growing. Again something nobody would have known unless they'd been following it for many months or even a couple years.

Anyway, when all is said and done, looks like it was a success, at least as far as the cancer was concerned. My mom's 80-year old aunt also had a section of her colon removed, about 10 years ago (cancerous polyps) and has been suffering with IBS-type stuff since.

ibssolved
06-14-2013, 08:05 AM
I may have spoked to soon, the Welchol worked great for a little over a week, it still slows down my digestive system, but doesn't seem to control the stool type anymore. Still not drinking sodas or flutose drinks, hoping that helps, it takes a while for that stuff to get out of you system.

ibssolved
06-16-2013, 04:49 PM
Cut back on beef, adjusted Wlchol to dr recommended amount. Its a bit tough to take because you have to take half hour before your dinner or lunch. I will have to keep a few pills with me at all times, and time it right.

I have also cut back on beef products, and still lay off the sodas. This week I have been doing better, stools are back to normal. A lot of gas though, may have to adjust all my meds, I have been cutting back on things that aren't to healthy and my body I think is adjusting. Welchol may be causing constipation, as well as these other side effects.

mild constipation, upset stomach, gas, indigestion;
feeling weak or tired;headache;fever

ibssolved
06-23-2013, 05:33 PM
Its been two weeks, I don't have a movement every day now, usually once a day. The Welchol, prillosec, no sodas, cut back on beef. All combining to help me lose weight, and normalizing my daily life. If I miss a Prilosec I can feel my stomach misses it. Might take awhile to figure that out. Low on funds and have to wait a little while for the breath test.

I think the Welchol really got me on the right track.

Rhonda1961
06-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Very glad that you have finally received some help! I joined this website because I have been having problems for years! But the last 3 it seems to have gotten worse.

I have Behcets Disease and have an implanted morphine pump with a catheter that goes to my spine, it's there to manage my pain. I also have a prolapse rectum, acid reflux, and go to the bathroom many times a day. There are times that I have like an esophagus spasm. It goes up through my chest, throat, jaw and arm. I take Tums, and it goes away.. I have this problem I know since 2005, but the last 3 years, it seems to have gotten worse. Usually after I eat, I have to run to the bathroom, or have alot of gas until I do go.

I am calling tomorrow to get an endoscopy done. Because of my rectum, I can't have a regular colonoscopy so have to find a doctor that does the camera ones. I was told that I had IBS, but my problem is not constipation, mine is the opposite.