PDA

View Full Version : Dexilant and Shortness of Breath

JoannieB
06-18-2013, 04:24 PM
I have been taking Dexilant for 4 weeks to treat acid reflux. I am now experiencing severe shortness of breath (SOB). It looks like some other Posters have had similar side effect? I was at the ER this weekend due to SOB and they knew the medication I was taking, but they didn't say anything about it. I contacted my Cardiologist and she immediately told me to stop taking the Dexilant! Anyone else heard of this problem? How long does the side effect last once you stop taking the medication? I took a pill today but am not taking from now on. It's difficult to breath and frustrating.

TheSixness
06-21-2013, 11:15 PM
One of the side effects of GERD/LPR is breathing problems. Try switching to a different PPI or getting pepcid or zantacs. Hopefully this doesn't repeat with the other medication.

I've been reading other posts by user however, saying that they started to experience more "lpr" symptoms after taking antacid medication. My thought is that taking PPI's would increase the amount of aspirated pepsin

MountainReader
06-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Welcome to HealthBoards!

I've been on Dexilant for years with no side effects. I did have problems with other PPI's though.

I have had serious breathing problems as a result of my acid reflux though. If you go off of the Dexilant and find you are still having breathing problems, it could be the acid is irritating your lungs.

I have had Barium Swallows and Modified Esophagrams in the past. They have shown the acid coming up hitting my lungs.

The tricky part is getting the breathing under control and getting the acid under control at the same time.

I wish you well.

johnathan
06-23-2013, 08:29 AM
Welcome to HealthBoards!

I've been on Dexilant for years with no side effects. I did have problems with other PPI's though.

I have had serious breathing problems as a result of my acid reflux though. If you go off of the Dexilant and find you are still having breathing problems, it could be the acid is irritating your lungs.

I have had Barium Swallows and Modified Esophagrams in the past. They have shown the acid coming up hitting my lungs.

The tricky part is getting the breathing under control and getting the acid under control at the same time.

I wish you well.

How does a barium swallow indicate that you have acid hitting your lungs?
and yet you say there is no damage to your esophagus. Doest make sense.

MountainReader
06-23-2013, 04:26 PM
How does a barium swallow indicate that you have acid hitting your lungs?
and yet you say there is no damage to your esophagus. Doest make sense.

I've had 4 upper endoscopies with biopsies that all confirm no damage to my esophagus.

I've had 4 24 hr pH tests. 3 of them have come back confirming 'extremely severe reflux. One was an upper probe that confirmed the acid was coming up into my throat.

My primary symptoms of reflux have been a chronic cough, asthma problems, an incredibly irritated throat and at times hoarseness. I'm not sure why the reflux hasn't 'damaged' my esophagus, but I'm extremely thankful that I haven't had damage. My GI doc has been monitoring me with testing about every other year since my issues have been so severe. I also see my Pulmonologist every 3-6 months to continue to monitor my lungs as well. He was the one who actually realized how severe my issues had become in the first place. He is the one who has ordered the barium testing, in addition to my x-rays, PFT's, EGD's and pH testing. My ENT also does regular scopes of my throat and vocal cords.

I've had the Barium Swallows and Esophagrams done twice.

The Esophagram and Barium Swallow are live video x-rays. You drink and eat items with Barium in them (i.e. liquids, thick liquids, soft foods, crunchy foods, and a fizzy drink). With the contrast the Barium provides, they can see what happens as the item is chewed and swallowed and what happens after that. They have you in a sitting position, lying down, and finally on a tilt table. In my case, both tests actually showed the items refluxing back up after they have gone down. They could see it coming up to my lungs. In one case, they could actually see some aspiration into my lungs as well. There is usually a speech therapist there along with the radiologist. I could see the images as they did and they actually reviewed some of them with me while I was getting the testing done. The refluxing was very visable.