PDA

View Full Version : Sons Prescription drug addiction

bballmomx4
06-22-2013, 06:20 PM
Hello. I haven't had much luck with responses on the other boards, but I thought I would try again on this one.
My 24 year old son is on day 4 in rehab for prescription drug abuse (Opiates). He detoxed himself last fall only to relapse 2 months later. Right now he is in a 28 day program but I am very scared that is not long enough. I feel so doomed, everything I read about addiction is so negative about recovery. Right now, all he talks about is how hard this is and that all he thinks about is his next dose of detox meds. He talks about how good the meds he was abusing made him feel. His talk just makes me feel like he will never be able to beat this. Before his addiction he was the sweetest, most sensitive, loving guy you would ever meet. Everyone is drawn to him. I still can't believe these drugs got a hold of him. His brain has been hijacked, literally.
Is there anything anyone can tell me that will give me just a little tiny bit of hope?
Thanks.

growagourd
06-22-2013, 10:08 PM
Hi there,

As a mother myself, I am deeply empathetic to the pain you have endured, and all that may be in your future,

I encourage you to take part in any education you can related to his addiction. There are very specific roles for the parents to play in recovery. Many times our natural instincts are completely wrong, and we have to learn the story of addiction.

Stay close to him, as he needs you so much. Checking out of our problems is the worst way to deal with our fears...Help him express himself without judgement.

My best to you and your son

bballmomx4
06-22-2013, 10:30 PM
Thank you for your response. It really helps to hear encouragement. We, my husband and I, have been educating ourselves along with educating our entire family so they all have a better understanding of what our son is going through and so there will be no judgement. That is helping a lot. I guess, as a mother, I'm just so scared for my son. I want him to have whatever is a normal life for him, whatever he chooses, but free of the agony of a drug addiction. The thought of watching him struggle his whole life with relapses sickens me for him. I wouldn't wish this experience on my worst enemy. He is the oldest of our four boys, and this is by far the hardest thing I have ever be through as a mother. I can only imagine how hard it has been on him. Thanks again :wave:

growagourd
06-22-2013, 10:43 PM
It hurts me to even imagine your pain and fear. It must be the most painful thing to experience day by day, and turning into week after week and month after month.

I wish you the strength to stand against this and not break. I only hope you sons addiction does not take more victims than necessary . Young people often need the real life experience of accepting the consequences of their behavior.

Having the support of your family is a gift, I hope you feel better from getting it out.