PDA

View Full Version : Is this GERD, LPR, what do you think?

frankm000
07-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Hello All. I have been reading around here for the past few days. Let me tell you my story and you tell me what you think? First of all, as far as I can remember in my adult hood, Ive always had heartburn atleast once a week. Easily taken care of with Tums.

August of 2012 I started waking up in the middle of the night choking on vomit. This only happened when I ate right before bed. I didnt have any stomach or throat pain or sensations at all. A week or two after that started, my lips swelled up and my throat got really tight like I had a softball stuck in it. I started breaking out in hives. I took prednazone to reduce the swelling of my lips and my throat eventually felt better. The hives stayed for about a week more. My primary doctor said I probably just had an allergic reaction to something, even though I did nothing out of the ordinary nor did I eat or touch anything that I normally dont. Fast foward a few weeks...

After a while I was still waking up aspirating on vomit. It only happened if I ate a snack within a hour of going to bed. I started taking Zantac. I had no heartburn, I just took it to see if it would stop me from vomiting while I was sleeping. For about 3 or 4 weeks, I could eat a Zantac, eat a snack and go to bed and I wouldnt vomit. After those couple weeks, thats when it started to get wierd.

I started to notice that I couldnt eat until my stomach was so full that it hurt. The reason why I couldnt do this is because it felt as if the food was coming back up through my throat, no acid sensation though. Zantac was doing nothing for it other than keeping my heartburn in check. I made an appointment with my GI doctor and she said it sounds like I have GERD. She put me on Protonix once a day and Randitine/Famotidine once at night. Again, this combo was doing nothing for me other than keeping heartburn away. I tried this for about 2 months. After making another appointment she tells me it still sounds like my issues are being cause by too much acid. She wanted me to start taking protonix 2 times daily, once in the morning and once in the evening, along with my rand/famotidine.

After this still not working and not being able to eat normally, we scheduled both an upper GI and a Barrium drink scan. The only thing that showed was that I have a small hiatal hernia, but she said she doubt thats what causing my issue. The biopsy she took came back fine, nothing was wrong. Now Im getting ready to go get a pH test soon I just have to have it scheduled.

My symptoms happen 100% randomly. They never just appear out of nowhere. Only after I eat. For instance, last week I was at a cookout and I drank a lot, and I ate tons of food, way more than I normally would. I felt great all day and had no issue. This morning I had a bowl of frosted flakes and I felt like the entire bowl just got lodged in my throat. Milk isnt a trigger though because I can chug cups of milk and feel fine. There isnt one specific trigger for me, it just happens out of nowhere. i had dinner at 7pm and a piece of pie at 830 pm and its 1130pm now. I feel pressure in my throat so to avoid vomiting and breathing it in while sleeping, I will end up staying awake until this pressure goes away. Thats the only way I combat it. Its only annoying really when its time to go to sleep because I have to wait for it to go away so I dont get sick.

What do you think this is? Like I said, Ive been heartburn free since starting protonix. When I vomit, it doesnt taste acidic, it just tastes almost exactly like the food that I ate. Whatever this is, its not going to control me so there is no issue there. I am not depressed or anything like that about it, just p'd off. Id love to hear your opinions! Anything else you need to know to evaluate, just ask!

solofelix
07-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Like you I have a Hiatal-Hernia.
I don't suffer heartburn but often feel like my food is regurgitating.
PPIs did nothing for me and the best answer I can give you is to take your diet very seriously, it has helped me more than any pills.
Follow a Gerd diet (search online Gerd Diet). Eat small meals, cut out carbs, such as cakes-pastries and white flour products also carbonated drinks.
Eat your last meal three hours before going to bed and drink nothing but plain water after the last meal.
This has helped me no end, I hope it helps you also.

Solofelix.

frankm000
07-18-2013, 08:54 AM
Plus everyday that I take cetirizine (zyrtec), I don't have that pressure in my throat.