PDA

View Full Version : High Cholesterol

sherilynnn
07-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Wow, I've just been slapped in the face with high cholesterol. I had no idea. I am a very healthy daily eater. My problem has been lacking of exercise because of sprained ankle, then bronchitis...over the last 5 months I am up 12 pounds.

Then I had my blood tests, Cholesterol 275...HDL 65, Trig 207, LDL 169. Wow... I know that much is hereditary and stress.

Now I'm on a special diet and will lose these pounds. Off of fats and red meat...but this scares me...

Would love to know how others feel. I have been given three months... then it will be meds.

Thanks everyone.

rudiraven
07-29-2013, 01:25 PM
Sherilynn,

I don't think you need to be on meds, IMHO, but I am not your doctor :) Your HDL (65) is excellent and that's from lean meats and good fats. Your triglycerides are high and if you cut down on the carbs you should be able to take care of that. Research thoroughly before starting meds. There are studies that state statins are of little to no use for women and only those individuals with genetic hypercholestemia (sp ?) or middle aged men with heart disease should take statins. Take care!

sherilynnn
07-29-2013, 02:16 PM
Sherilynn,

I don't think you need to be on meds, IMHO, but I am not your doctor :) Your HDL (65) is excellent and that's from lean meats and good fats. Your triglycerides are high and if you cut down on the carbs you should be able to take care of that. Research thoroughly before starting meds. There are studies that state statins are of little to no use for women and only those individuals with genetic hypercholestemia (sp ?) or middle aged men with heart disease should take statins. Take care!

Thank you very much for your help. I do feel much better and will drop the pounds. I will do the research.

Have a wonderful week!

ellysecoyte
08-13-2013, 03:53 AM
The first thing would be to keep oneself away from all high cholesterol foods such as eggs all organs based meat such as brains, liver, heart and kidneys and all desserts with high fat content. Instead of frying the food, it would be better to broil or bake it as frying helps to increase the cholesterol level.

Imacarbuff
08-13-2013, 08:14 PM
I agree that if you trim the carbs and shed a few pounds that you will be well on your way to a healthier life. I tend to disagree on giving up eggs. Range-free organic eggs are some of the best things you can ingest-just don't go overboard eating them too often.

The more research I do- the more concerned I become about taking statins. I strongly suggest that you read all you can about statins. Look for information from books and sources that DO NOT take in advertising money from big pharma. After devouring 8 different books on statins..........do all you can to avoid taking them. If I could only have read one book, it would be "Poisoned" Recovery from Statin Side Effects. This book really gets down to some serious details about our bodies and facts about statins that in 20 years-no one else has gone into such detail. Statin users have a right to this information so that they may make an informed decision. The book is written by James B. Yoseph & Hannah Yoseph, MD.

We all have to make decisions in our life about our health and the path we choose. To fix one problem, you don't want to create another one.
Good luck.