PDA

View Full Version : Very scared and anxious IBS

Andrew7932
07-29-2013, 01:14 AM
Hello, First off I want to thank anyone who can help me in my search to get better. Im expecting my first son in october with my loving wife and I just want to be healthy to expereince my family and be there for them..I need to be happy again, not only for my sake, but for my family:(

Growing up I've been very healthy, Active, Daring and most of all caring.

I had a rough start with my family ( I know this may not seem relevent but It is i promise), We fought a lot and I was in trouble in school. I was kicked out of my house by the time i was 13 and couch surfed for quite a while ( classic story of mom and dad fighting so much and eventually getting a very messy divorce). I dont feel very anxious about anything from my past but perhaps it has a deeper root to my now physical problems.

Okay! to the good part! well hopefully if you can help me:)

It started when i moved My wife had been talking with another guy, they called each other "Love" and were talking about how nice it would be to kiss each other.. I have extreme anxiety about this.
So we moved for a fresh start.
I carry this anxiety almost every day various times per day..Anywho! We made our terms with it and moved on to be happy together:) Woohoo.
And then my symptoms started..It started with very loose bowel movments, It would basically just fall out when i sat on the toilet, Sometimes it would be "flaky" and green, Other times it would be partially solid. There were these weird red fibres in it, it looked as if they were small sticks or something..This symptoms persisted for about two months with little discomfort in the abdoman but still some. It was generalised pain, Not only in one place but sort of below my belly button and all the way across.
I went to the doctors after some research and figured okay I have IBS. The doctor wasn't entierly convinced but did not rule it out. ( This was in ER) he gave me imodium and a antiacid, The imodium made me constipated for days, so naturally i stopped taking them. I went back various times over the course of another month, with sever abdomanal pain! It was to the point where i was so nasious and my lower abdoman hurt so bad in a kind of aching pain. That i needed some releif. The doctors gave me demerall to manage the pain. Which actually worked quite well, I would split the pills in half. So! I went to my GP And he finally ordered some blood tests! I had every blood test practically known to man (well not really but In total i had 14 blood tests Including checking my electrolytes) which were fine! All was good so next step was a abdomanal ultrasound, ( My spleen seemed slightly enlarged but the doc said it was not cause for concern and could be just because i had a very bad case of mono when i was younger). So next we did a chest xray, Everything was good, So the doctor finally sent me to the gastrointerologist, By this time I have had persistant symptoms every day with hardly any change! My bowel movments were always loose, wattery, Diariah, and mostly yellow. At this point i believe I had a small tear in my anus because it hurt to wipe and there was a bit of streaking on the toilet paper. none in the stool itself. Oh and sorry before the blood tests i had a stool culture done and it came back fine...So! I had a upper endoscopy ( Down my throat and into my stomach or whatever!..That came back fine...At this point, it's been 8 months of absolute hell. The pain from my abdoman has quieted down but is still there most days. The pain goes away compleltly when im asleep. I have changed my diet to all organic, Yogurt smoothies, Im on algin for ibs, tried probiotics and cut out dairy, gluten and wheat ( all at different times) Nothing thus far has worked! Occascionally I will get a solid bowel movment but most of the time when its solid, its very flat. ( ahh cancer scare!) Im very scared and this has affected my quality of life..please help me..I have A colonoscopy on the 21st of next month..

Andrew7932
07-29-2013, 01:18 AM
op here. and also im 21 male, good shape.

ladybud
07-29-2013, 03:12 AM
I am glad you have a colonoscopy scheduled. That seems to be the most important test, but I would try to get it moved up sooner, so if a problem is found, you can get it under control before your son is born. I would be concerned about possible inflammatory bowel disease, like Crohn's or ulcerative colitis with symptoms so long standing and persistent. You could call the GI office and asked to be called if a cancellation occurs.

Andrew7932
07-29-2013, 04:50 AM
I am glad you have a colonoscopy scheduled. That seems to be the most important test, but I would try to get it moved up sooner, so if a problem is found, you can get it under control before your son is born. I would be concerned about possible inflammatory bowel disease, like Crohn's or ulcerative colitis with symptoms so long standing and persistent. You could call the GI office and asked to be called if a cancellation occurs.

Thankyou so much for replying! Yes I'm trying to get the test moved up sooner. The docs ruled out most forms of ibd I believe. .I'm just so scared it could be colon cancer:-(. I know its rare for someone my age but it scares me nontheless:-(

ladybud
07-29-2013, 07:46 AM
Since stress can aggravate both IBD and IBS, I would not worry about colon cancer. It causes constipation not diarrhea and is a middle age or older disease.

rosu
08-09-2013, 08:57 AM
Hi OP.

Sorry to hear your predicament, it sounds stressful in itself. I'm IBS-D myself at least that is the initial diagnosis. Just wondering though -- How long did you avoid eating gluten? How long did you avoid eating dairy? To my understanding a gluten sensitivity will take at least a few weeks to months of gluten free before symptoms begin to lessen.

I am wondering also, did your IBS start as suddenly as that, after moving to another state? Might there have been a progressive incline leading towards your current symptoms or maybe an incline and then a sudden bump up of the symptoms due to the stress of moving? Was there anything else that may have contributed, e.g. antibiotics, taking medication, change in diet?

It sounds like you're a bit anxious, but yellow stool and diarrhoea symptoms set alarm bells ringing for me... Think about being checked for IBD (colitis or crohns) and coeliac as ladybud said. If it is coeliac, or even a non coeliac gluten sensitivity then this is plausible. You just want to rule things out so you can get a better handle. I would recommend avoiding gluten and or dairy for a longer time period, or in fact doing the FODMAP diet which you've probably read about already? Also I hope you can find things in your life that keep you grounded, passions that you enjoy doing...because maybe part of your anxiety is homesickness? How have you settled in, in Alberta?

renee68025
08-23-2013, 06:07 PM
I have had ibs for 15 years. The only thing that has ever helped me is anti depressants. I am currently taking wellbutrin 200mg a day. Been taking this since Feb. Best I've felt in years. Basically the drugs calm you down. So your calm and don't have to go so much. I always had loose stool too and now I rarely do.

just something to consider. Hope you feel better soon.