PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics caused chronic mushy stool, burning, itchiness and yellow leakage?

rosu
08-07-2013, 07:05 AM
As a child I had always felt a certain bowel movement urgency when I became very excited or nervous, but on growing up this subsided as childhood excitement diminshed.

Then in February 2013 I was prescribed antibiotics (Augmentin) for a flu, which caused me violent diarrhoea on the second day, so I stopped taking the antibiotics. This died down to a low level diarrhoea of chronic, soft mushy stools which were urgent within 15 minutes of eating breakfast and often more durng the day but never more than 3. Here are the full symptoms:

These stools are stringy, contain skins (tomatoes, peppers), colour varies between dull yellow-orange-brown with stringy fibres in them. There are usually pieces of all colours in them: white bits, red bits, etc. Lately, the start of the BM has been OK and sinking, while the end is the mushiest, which usually floats and forms weird stringy shapes and is not 'cut off' by my anus properly, initially leaving a big chunk of this sticking to my anus which must then be wiped. The longer I hold the BM in, the firmer and nicer they generally are, and again, nerves and breakfast are the biggest triggers for the urgency which gives rise to the worst (mushiest, messiest) of the BM episodes. After eating, and needing a BM, are accompanied by a lot of farting, often feeling like wet farts as the BM is right inside the door wanting to come out. After the Bowel movement, the farting subsides, I clean gently but there is a greasiness which seems never ending. A yellow greasiness and the smell of stewed beef (!) in what can only be described as a sort of leakage which occurs for hours after the BM. This "leakage" is never very heavy only because I am constantly returning to the bathroom to clean myself up again, but the leakage comes with an itchiness and a burning sensation. Sometimes when the burning is extreme I will find (usually small amounts of) red fresh blood on the toilet paper along with the yellow liquid. Sometimes the 'yellow liquid' has dried at my anus by the time I'm wiping again. Sometimes a little solids have edged their way out as well to my anal opening. This goes on for hours after the actual BM was expelled.

I have been looked at a few times for piles; none found. I have never experienced stomach pain, cramping, or "bloatedness". The doctor suggested IBS and prescribed me Colpermin peppermint capsules which I've taken for 5 weeks with no improvement. (I think they are worsening the situation but I have been told to finish the course over 2 months to give it a good chance which I agree with).

It is the mushy burning acid style stools that worry me, as well as the social implications of running to the toilet to keep myself clean and the worry about the smell and the filth which keeps pestering my anus...

I am restricted in the amount of limiations I can perform on my diet but I have found that lowering my fibre intake (from wholegrain to white refined bread) has helped slightly as has avoiding high fibre cereals such as porridge and muesli. I eat very healthily - no junk food, plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, fish, lean meats, and yoghurt.

I have found some probiotic yoghurts a small but significant help.

Could this be bile acid diarrhoea or just IBS and I have to live with it? I have no idea what is wrong with me. 25 year old, healthy male.

----

Not sure if this is related but certain parts of my body became VERY itchy ever since this problem started in February, so may be related (head, neck, legs and ankles in particular).