PDA

View Full Version : Positive Hemocult

silbillalobos
08-11-2013, 03:41 PM
My Dr. Performed a rectal exam during my physical and took a stool sample. The sample was positive for blood. I explained to the Dr. That I had started a new diet and taking multi-vitamins along with B12 supplements. I had noticed a darker tary stool, but thought it was the vitamins. 3 yrs ago I had a colon resection due to diverticulitis and took 12 inches off of my large intestine. Could this be a reoccurrence of diverticulitis? Should I be concerned of possible colon cancer? I have since developed diarrhea and some right sided abd pain. He suggested I schedule an appointment with a GI doctor. Recently my dr. Put me on testosterone replacement therapy (injections) , I have stopped those until my GI appointment. Please help.

ladybud
08-11-2013, 03:57 PM
The diet changes and Vit B12 should not cause a positive result on hemoccult test. There are lots of possible reasons it could be positive, and can reflect blood loss from anywhere in GI tract. Tarry stools usually indicate blood from higher in the tract, like stomach, rather than lower, like diverticulitis. It is best to get it checked out with a GI Dr., as it could be serious or not, but you don't want to take a chance. Beets can cause a false positive result, and if you ate beets the day of or before the test, I would ask for the test to be repeated. But since you have developed abd. pain, that needs to be checked anyway. I wouldn't panic about cancer, but any source of GI bleeding is serious enough to investigate. I would avoid aspirin and anti-inflammatories for time being, as those meds on a regular basis can cause bleeding ulcers.