PDA

View Full Version : HEART ATTACK OR GERD (help asap)

allysimpson
09-04-2013, 03:23 PM
For the past week I have been experiencing a lot of headaches,dizziness, pain all over the body especially back and shoulders, stomach pains and lastly pressure in my chest. Sometimes the pressure feels like someone is sitting on my chest and sometimes it's a squeezing like feeling. This last a few minutes to an hour sometimes. Also I suffer from acid reflux and take tums for that .

I went to see my family doctor and he performed blood test as well as ECG. Both came negative.
Yesterday when sitting in class I experienced the worst chest pain i have ever had I felt like I couldn't breath and swallow. I right away went to the ER and they as well performed the blood test, ECG, chest x-ray and checked my blood pressure. The results all came negative meaning they said there is nothing wrong with my heart and that it probably is just acid reflex that are very similar to a hearth attack.

So my question is since I have been checked twice by a doctor and an ER and both times it came negative. What are the chances that the doctors are wrong and overlooked the heart attack/disease ?
Could it have not shown up?? Should I be worried ? or could this really be the acid reflux ??

Also today I have been feeling like mucus is stuck in the back of my throat. It's uncomfortable to swallow and coughing doesn't make it go away

Please help with any suggestions
I really am worried and feel like I should go and see another doctor
Hearth attack or GERD?

monkeybelly
10-24-2013, 10:56 PM
Since you've been checked twice and both times no problems were found with your heart, maybe it's gerd.
I've been through the same ordeal. Have the exact same symptoms you described. Over this past weekend, I spent 4 days in the hospital. I went to the ER after awakening with chest pains and the feeling that I had stopped breathing. Initial blood work showed that there was a slight presence of troponin. That is an indication of either a recent or impending heart attack. Had an EKG which was normal and a heart echo which was fine. They removed the leg cast I had for a fractured heel so they could do a doppler on my legs to look for clots. Scanned lungs as well. No evidence of a blood clot.
My PCP initially suspected GERD. After the tests ruled out a heart and lung problem, he increased my dosage of Omeprazole. I was already taking it for acid reflux. After 4 days I'm feeling better. Symptoms are still present but seem to be declining in severity.
My PCP is sending me to a gastro enterologist. He feels I need a scope to check for inflammation of the esophagus.
I also am taking xanax for the panic these attacks trigger. That might be something to consider. Gerd is bad enough, don't need panic attacks on top.
Good luck, I hope you get some relief. Knowing it's not your heart should help that a little anyway.

gmak
10-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Esophageal spasms can feel like severe pain like angina or a heart attack & both are relieved by nitroglycerin. If you have pain from GERD it can be like bad heartburn to esophageal spasms & everything in between & it can be bad enough that it causes difficulty swallowing & breathing, such as in LPR & if the ER or dr didnt give you a proton pump inhibitor to reduce stomach acid if i were you i would ask for one or see a gastroenterologist because do the tums work very well comparatively? Also, i would make an appt to see my cardiologist to follow up on the heart testing, mine does an EKG, ECHO & a stress test & to check to see if we need a heart cath to check for coronary artery blockage & asked us to buy home bp machine to get a running record of our blood pressure if headaches or dizziness involved & he does a halter monitor to check us over a 24 hour period for heart arrythymias. He also checks cholesterol, triglycerides & prescribed medicine too lower it. Do you have a prescribed medicine for stomach acid or did they recommend seeing a cardiologist or gastroenterologist?

monkeybelly
10-26-2013, 11:37 AM
All good info, just one thing. Gerd is not bad heartburn. I have gerd and have zero heartburn. It's called silent gerd. Heartburn can accompany gerd but not always.