PDA

View Full Version : Maybe NOT IBS??

whitsmom
09-09-2013, 12:45 PM
I was told that I have IBS when in my early 20s. I am now 52 and had a dr. tell me last week that the symptoms I have don't sound like IBS at all to him.

When I have a flare with my stomach, it is horribly painful and usually not accompanied by a lot of the symptoms that are normally listed with IBS, but I guess that's the best diagnosis the drs could come up with. I have ended up in the ER 3 or 4 times because of the pain. I had an apt with a cardiologist last week, due to blood pressure, and we were discussing it. He proceeded to tell me that IBS does not cause the kind of pain and other symptoms that I had described to him. He thinks I'm dealing with liver stones. He asked me if my pain was similar to being in labor and it most definitely reaches that level when it gets bad. That horrendous pain can come from one of them trying to pass through a bile duct.

The more we talked, the more I believe that he might be correct. A lot of things have just never added up with the IBS diagnosis, so I'm going to discuss it further with my doctor. Just thought I'd see if anyone else had ever heard of this?

thyme2chat
09-13-2013, 01:11 PM
I have never heard of liver stones. I have gall stones but Dr's keep telling me its IBS

Missy1227
09-17-2013, 02:43 PM
I find your story interesting. I have passed out a few times during my episodes and it also wakes me from my sleep. I literally feel like I could die at times!! I've not officially been told I have IBS but its looking that way since the doctor seems to be running out of tests to perform. I would like to know what you eventually find out.

STLouisgal
09-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Have you been checked for Celiac Disease (gluten intolerance)? The severe pain would be more indicative of stones of some sort. But since you've had this for 30 years, that sounds suspect too. And the longer Celiac goes undiagnosed and the person ingests gluten, the more damage is done to the small intestines (flattened villi).

There's a blood test that's supposed to be fairly accurate (don't know % accuracy though). An endoscopy with small intestine biopsy is another diagnostic test. Gluten insensitivity can cause some of the same symptoms as Celiac but I don't think there's any test for that. You just have to go on a gluten free diet to see if symptoms improve/resolve. If you're going to have the blood test for Celiac, you cannot be on a gluten free diet or it won't show up in your blood.