PDA

View Full Version : Tired of the big "D"

ingi4711
09-15-2013, 06:53 AM
I have had IBS D for many years. Most of the time it can be controlled with Imodium, not this time.
Returned from a wonderful vacation to the East Coast and within a week experienced daily D, was nauseated and had no appetite. Saw my doctor who suggested it was a bacterial infection and prescribed Flagyl for seven days. D continued but I was feeling better and started to eat again. Back for follow-up with doctor who ran a blood panel and found that my sodium level was 123. Stool cultures all negative for parasites or other bacteria. Told me to eat more salty food and stop a diuretic. D continues even after I stopped the Flagyl but feel otherwise ok again.Took Imodium this morning and am hoping I can regulate again. So tired of having to plan my life around bathroom trips. Incidentally, I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy in March, both were normal. My blood panel was otherwise fine too. I am diabetic but well controlled.
Any advice is much appreciated.

CollegeAnt18
09-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Kind of sounds like you may have caught a stomach bug that triggered your IBS to act up. Possibly a virus.
Salty food probably won't help too much with stopping the D, but will help with the nausea and allow your body to retain more water than it's losing (which will keep you from severe dehydration). But definitely drink plenty of water.
As for what may help, I would suggest bland carbohydrates. Whole grain bread and oatmeal would be optimum choices that should be easier on your blood sugar levels. You might also try eating bananas, preferably ones that are not too ripe.
Another option, that doesn't involve eating, would be Metamucil. Fiber is very helpful for both C and D.
Hope this helps.

ingi4711
09-18-2013, 05:29 AM
Kind of sounds like you may have caught a stomach bug that triggered your IBS to act up. Possibly a virus.
Salty food probably won't help too much with stopping the D, but will help with the nausea and allow your body to retain more water than it's losing (which will keep you from severe dehydration). But definitely drink plenty of water.
As for what may help, I would suggest bland carbohydrates. Whole grain bread and oatmeal would be optimum choices that should be easier on your blood sugar levels. You might also try eating bananas, preferably ones that are not too ripe.
Another option, that doesn't involve eating, would be Metamucil. Fiber is very helpful for both C and D.
Hope this helps.

Thank you for your response. Will try your suggestions.

STLouisgal
09-18-2013, 09:33 AM
Have you been checked for Celiac Disease? There's a blood test that's supposed to be fairly accurate (don't know % accuracy though). An endoscopy with small intestine biopsy is another diagnostic test. Gluten insensitivity can cause some of the same symptoms as Celiac but I don't think there's any test for that. You just have to go on a gluten free diet to see if symptoms improve/resolve. If you're going to have the blood test for Celiac, you cannot be on a gluten free diet or it won't show up in your blood.

ingi4711
09-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Thank you, St. Louis girl for your suggestion. I have been tested for Celiac as well as Crohn's and all were negative. My daughter has Celiac and is on a strict diet, so I am very familiar with it. I am all better and hope it stays that way. Doc still says it was a virus or bad bacterial infection. My sodium level is normal again, as are all the other blood tests.

SoundsFamiliar
09-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Stool cultures all negative for parasites or other bacteria.

Unlikely, imo. Friendly bacteria are the foundation of good intestinal health, without them we'd have 24/7 'D'.

Have you tried probiotics? Our family's favourite is Enzymatic Pearls.

sf

sabicas
09-20-2013, 07:17 PM
what is the "D".

ingi4711
09-30-2013, 07:19 PM
what is the "D".

IBS with mostly diarrhea.