PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if I have IBS

Missy1227
09-16-2013, 02:53 PM
I have been having symptoms on and off for 10+ years. My first that I remember I had severe stomach cramps followed by a trip to the bathroom. Next thing I wake up on the bathroom floor in a pool of urine. Sadly but thankfully I was home alone. I don't recall anything happening again for a few years. I would say about 5 years later I had just went to get ice cream and suddenly had the urge to use the restroom. I went and while still sitting on the toilet I get an unbelievable burning sensation in my private area. I was soon covered from head to toe in hives. Since then I have been woken up in the middle of the night with severe abdominal pain that leads to a trip to the bathroom and 90% of the time I break out into hives. I recently had another episode during the day. Sometimes I feel nauseous sometimes I don't. I usually feel sick for a few hours then return to completely normal not knowing when my next attack will be. I have been to my primary and he tested my blood for celiac antibodies and all came back clear. I was referred to a Gastroenterologist and had an endoscopy and colonoscopy done. All came back clear. My Gastro doctor has pretty much blown me off since which really makes me upset because it makes me feel like I'm crazy and I know that is not the case. Every time it happens it is horrible and I feel like I want to die :( My Primary said to me years ago it could be IBS but he never heard of Hives with it or IBS waking someone from their sleep. Can anyone relate or have any advice?

SoundsFamiliar
09-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Are you prone to high levels of nervous tension or anxiety?

sf

flipfleury
09-16-2013, 05:23 PM
I have been having symptoms on and off for 10+ years. My first that I remember I had severe stomach cramps followed by a trip to the bathroom. Next thing I wake up on the bathroom floor in a pool of urine. Sadly but thankfully I was home alone. I don't recall anything happening again for a few years. I would say about 5 years later I had just went to get ice cream and suddenly had the urge to use the restroom. I went and while still sitting on the toilet I get an unbelievable burning sensation in my private area. I was soon covered from head to toe in hives. Since then I have been woken up in the middle of the night with severe abdominal pain that leads to a trip to the bathroom and 90% of the time I break out into hives. I recently had another episode during the day. Sometimes I feel nauseous sometimes I don't. I usually feel sick for a few hours then return to completely normal not knowing when my next attack will be. I have been to my primary and he tested my blood for celiac antibodies and all came back clear. I was referred to a Gastroenterologist and had an endoscopy and colonoscopy done. All came back clear. My Gastro doctor has pretty much blown me off since which really makes me upset because it makes me feel like I'm crazy and I know that is not the case. Every time it happens it is horrible and I feel like I want to die :( My Primary said to me years ago it could be IBS but he never heard of Hives with it or IBS waking someone from their sleep. Can anyone relate or have any advice?

Since you're breaking out in hives and passing out,makes me think you're having a severe allergic reaction to something you're eating. You need to keep a food diary for a couple of weeks and any kind of reactions you have for up to 2 hours after eating. sometimes allergic reactions can be delayed up to 2 hours after eating. I would try to get a referral for an allergy doctor and get tested for food allergies. If I were you, i would start carrying benadryl with you at all times. If you get tingling around the mouth and lips, and you feel itchy at all any where take at least 50 mg of Benadryl right away. I would consider going to the ER and or calling 911. Allergy reactons to foods get worse every time you're exposed to the allergen and could be life threatening.
I am tellng you this because I had a severe reaction to white potato and almost passed out at work and when I finally got the ER the doctor very sternly told me I could have gone into respiratory arrest and died. I now carry and Epipen and wear a Medic Alert to warn EMS and ER personnel of my allergies to Latex ad some medications. I hope tis is helpful.

Missy1227
09-16-2013, 07:10 PM
I use to have more anxiety than I do here in recent years so I'm not sure it has anything to do with it. I've had a few break downs and it's never triggered anything. It always seems to happen on calm days.

I've also kept food diary's and I don't see any common factors. In the beginning I thought it was the ice cream at a local restaurant since it happened a couple times there but I've eaten there plenty of times since with no troubles.

This last time I woke up had a breakfast I eat all the time, we went to a football game and I ate the same food I always eat before going to a game. On our way home from the game out of no where my stomach gets upset and I instantly know what I'm in for. I never broke out into hives but knew I needed benadryl since I was feeling the early signs of itchiness. I never broke out into hives that time but felt ill all evening and woke up refreshed as if nothing happened the day before. Since I can go months with no problems and really no diet changes I don;t see how it can be a food allergy. What ever it is I would avoid it like the plague if I knew I would never have to go through this again!